I heard the following phrase in response to someone claiming that he had researched documents about some historical figure. The person who had opposing idea commented with:

かけずほど当てにならない

From the context I guess it must have meant something along "I won't argue with written things" (more literally "If it's not written down, it can't true"), but the use of かけずほど is a mystery for me.

Could it be 書けずほど? What would be a grammatical rule behind it? Or could I have misheard it?

I am only 99% sure of what I am going to say as I did not hear the statement myself. I think you misheard the "length" of one of the syllables, namely the 「け」. Try elongating that syllable and you will have a whole new word between the 「か」 and 「ず」. – l'électeur Nov 8 '15 at 12:17
  • @l'électeur Got it, now you only made me wonder about remaining 1% possibility. – macraf Nov 8 '15 at 12:43
  • I neither know what ''kakezuhodo'' means nor know an alternative word semantically. – Toshihiko Nov 9 '15 at 14:45

As pointed out by l'électeur in the comments, the person probably said:

家系図{かけいず}ほど当てにならないものはない
There is nothing more unreliable than a family tree

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.