The English phrase "wrapped around your finger" usually means that a male is so fond of a girl that she can get him to do almost anything she wants, or to give her whatever she wants. In my case, it is my 2-year old daughter. I could say she has me "wrapped around her finger" because she's just so cute it's hard for me to see her upset.

Does anyone have a similar phrase in Japanese?

When talking about children/grandchildren and not romantic relationships, a common idiom is:

目に入れても痛くない{いたくない}
(Literal: It wouldn't hurt if I put them in my eye)

It's similar to saying that they are the apple of your eye, and you could do anything for them.

• What about when you are talking about romantic relationships? – Blavius Nov 8 '15 at 15:59
    @Blavius The link Flaw posted in the comments is pretty good. “手玉に取る” has lots of synonyms too. (None of them are restricted to romantic relationships, though.) thesaurus.weblio.jp/content/… – mirka Nov 8 '15 at 16:48
  • I think the most literal equivalent of having someone "wrapped around one's finger" is 手玉に取っている. But in terms of an adult's feelings toward a child, 目に入れても痛くない is a closer match in terms of context/meaning. Thanks to @Flaw and @ mirka – Baodad Nov 9 '15 at 23:01

I guess a phrase similar to "dance to somebody's tune" fits here well too:

彼女にうまく踊らされている。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.