I am really confused in digesting Japanese tenses while referring to English tenses in mind. Is there a list mapping each English tense to Japanese one?

Please kindly also provide us with some sentences per tense.

closed as unclear what you're asking by macraf, Dono, Blavius, Hideki, Troyen Nov 7 '15 at 8:26

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Not really. English only has two tenses, and they don't map cleanly into Japanese. – snailboat Nov 5 '15 at 2:12
    perhaps you could list the 16 candidates? – Flaw Nov 5 '15 at 3:46
    I'm with @Flaw. What have you got so far. If you don't show some of your own effort then the question will likely be closed for that reason. – The Wandering Coder Nov 5 '15 at 4:58
    I wasn't aiming any intended nastiness at you, only restating a common point of questions being closed. I personally am unsure of the 16 English Tenses you refer to, and as such, without more context, could not answer your question. Also, as with the comment from @snailboat you may find that the tenses will not perfectly tessellate (as is often the cause with Japanese <> English translations). Even if I don't answer, if my comment causes you to reform your question into one that doesn't get closed and gets answered then I doubt that would have been a nil contribution. But I digress... – The Wandering Coder Nov 5 '15 at 5:42
    We don't intend to be mean. It is that we are unable to attempt to map the elements if we do not have the domain. Your choice of 16 candidates may be different from other analyses of a different number of tenses. – Flaw Nov 5 '15 at 8:42

"Is there a list mapping each English tense to Japanese one?"

There is a simple answer to this question: No. Unrelated languages, like English (or any other Indo-European language) and Japanese do not have corresponding sets of grammar functions, so it is not possible in any meaningful way to map one to the other.

It may sound hard, but you have to learn how different bits of Japanese verb morphology ("endings", in other words) work, and work on hearing enough Japanese that you understand it. Whether or not you can immediately give "English replacements" for the bits is largely irrelevant, and if you struggle through trying to pretend that each Japanese structure has a corresponding English structure, you will have a very hard time as you keep bumping into the fact that this is not true.

I hope this helps; that is my intention, but there are many people around with other ideas -- for example that everything is about "translation", which I think is a way to make things even more difficult than they already are.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.