I came across this sentence:

来年は、踊り子三百人をフランスに招いて、阿波踊りの魅力をもっと広めていくようです。

Stripping the sentence to basic sentence structure:

魅力を広めていく。

How can that be grammatically correct?

As "広める" is transitive with an obvious object, there must be an actor as the subject? I don't see one. You can sort of hide the actor using passive voice. This seems grammatically correct to me:

魅力が広められている。

Or, isn't the intransitive verb also an option:

魅力が広まって

In English, the given sentence sounds to me like:

??? is widening the appeal of the dance.

But, who is widening the appeal? Don't you have to say:

The appeal of the dance is widening.

You're right, there has to be an actor and there is. The same actor as for 招く earlier in the sentence.

阿波踊りとは、徳島県を発祥とする盆踊りです。日本三大盆踊りで、日本の伝統芸能の一つとして、日本全国からたくさんの観客が訪れます。 その阿波踊りが、フランスのパリで初めて開催されました。このイベントは、日本在住のフランス人ジャーナリストが阿波踊りを自分の国に届けたい思いで、10年かけて実らせました。

パリでは、大人から子供まで阿波踊りの魅力を味わうことができ、会場は熱気に包まれたそうです。

来年は、踊り子300人をフランスに招いて、阿波踊りの魅力をもっと広めていくようです。 (Source)

Here's the whole context I found. From the earlier context, the unspoken actor in the final sentence must be the event organisers (who else would do these actions?).

So, "It appears they [the event organisers] will bring 300 dancers to France next year and spread the appeal of awa-odori even more."

• An "泡踊り" would be much more popular than an "阿波踊り"! – david Nov 4 '15 at 20:36
  • Indeed, one line example sentences are not very useful in learning Japanese grammar. thanks. – david Nov 4 '15 at 22:27
  • @david 「泡踊り」って何ですか? げっ!下ネタ!? – Chocolate Nov 4 '15 at 23:33
  • @choco いやいや。下品じゃないはよ。今、日本はまだ近代化しつつあっても、賑やかな外国人が多いすぎの東京と離れたら、伝統的な自然環境が多い所がある。そこには、泡踊りをやる温泉があるだぞう。きっと、私の広島の近くには一つがある。見ながら、色々感激する。また、見にいけばいいのにさ。 – david Nov 5 '15 at 0:45
    @choko 僕もてっきり下ネタかとwwww – Robin Nov 5 '15 at 7:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.