As in, I want to say veterans/old hats at doing something instead of beginners at doing something.

Edit: Thank you for all the responses. I wasn't looking to imply skill, so I think 経験者 is the word I am looking for, but I learned a lot of other great words through the responses.

This is a pretty uncommon choice, and not really "the opposite" 初心者, so probably not a great answer, but I really like the word 老練 (which explicitly has the "old" nuance to it, so don't use it for someone young). :-) – Darius Jahandarie Nov 3 '15 at 18:17

The word I hear most common for this is: ベテラン.

The second one: 経験者{けいけんしゃ}.

I think it's [熟練者]{じゅくれんしゃ}...

Source

• I'd never heard that word before, so thank you. Though I think for what I was trying to get at, 経験者 is most appropriate. – Crowbeak Nov 4 '15 at 12:50
    Oh, in that case, I think you should accept macraf's answer. – Chocolate Nov 4 '15 at 16:37
  • I will change it because there seems to be a small consensus that I should; however, I just want it stated for the record that I chose this one because it seemed the best answer to the question I actually asked. I was thinking of future searchers. – Crowbeak Nov 7 '15 at 1:36

This depends on context. At this point I would say macraf's answer (particularly 経験者) is the best (at least in my findings), but if we are indeed talking about skill involved (IE, you can rank someone, like in a game) 中級者 and 上級者 must also be considered.

Again, considering the context (perhaps you can give a bit more?) none of these may sound natural.

• 経験者 sounds like what I was looking for... experience, rather than indication of skill. Thank you, though, those are also excellent words to know. – Crowbeak Nov 4 '15 at 12:48

If you are just looking to say someone who is very good at certain thing, then how about 達人【たつじん】? I hear that often.

Again, depending on context, other possible terms include 玄人【くろうと】 and 専門家【せんもんか】.

OP may be interested to know that 玄人 is also more obviously an antonym of 素人【しろうと】. – senshin Nov 3 '15 at 21:52

People also use プロ quite widely. I once tried to ask a host family if I could say 素人 and 玄人, and my host mother laughed and told me that nobody used 玄人 - only プロ。

You guys are all correct! :)

I would use 経験者(けいけんしゃ). It really depends on the context. I'll list the ones that weren't in this thread.

• エキスパート(expert in katakana has the same meaning as in English)
  • プロ(professional)
  • 腕利き(うできき)
  • カリスマ(someone who is really good that he/she is almost revered.)

As you might know, a lot of English words are borrowed today, so it might be useful to know these words.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.