I sometimes hear a phrase 仕事があれば used in situations where a freelancer or an artist says something that in English would be "if you pay me I will do it" (まぁ、仕事があれば〜), "if you pay me I will go" (仕事があれば、どこへでも行く).

However I can't find any dictionary or usage example in which 仕事 would be likened to the actual compensation for work. Work, task, duty, assignment - all refer to an obligation of a person doing the actual work, but not the person who orders the work to be done. These two are closely related, but does 仕事 always mean a work done for a compensation?

Am I interpreting the phrase 仕事があれば correctly?

The reason I am asking is that usually I heard it is spoken with a grin or it caused a few chuckles around. Something unusual for a dry, literal interpretation.

仕事 just means job or task, paid or unpaid. Whether it means a paid job depends on the context.

If a freelancer says "これは遊びではなくて仕事だ", this 仕事 definitely refers to a paid job. If the same person says "家に帰って猫に餌をやる仕事がある", this 仕事 is of course unpaid.

The reason I am asking is that usually I heard it is spoken with a grin or it caused a few chuckles around. Something unusual for a dry, literal interpretation.

That's just because 仕事 obviously refers to a paid job in that context, and "if you pay me" is implied. A job officially offered to a freelancer or a professional artist is always with a compensation... well, at least in Japan.

• So does it sound to Japanese ears like soliciting money? – macraf Nov 3 '15 at 23:12
  • It depends. If a greedy person say this with a grin, yes he's talking about money. If an earnest person say the same thing seriously, it's out of the sense of responsibility. – naruto Nov 4 '15 at 1:31
  • Just something I would add to this response. In Japan you don't just "pay someone", you "give them a job". Saying something like "If you pay me" in japan is impolite and almost makes it sound like that person may not pay you if s/he requests for the job. – ShikiGami Nov 4 '15 at 6:05

Close. 仕事 means work, job, task, and etc, or workmanship, and never means compensation for a job or work done.

Consider someone looking for a job. "If they pay me" is close but a bit different from "if they have a job for me". Right? So, 仕事があれば, because of the definition of 仕事, therefore is a lot closer to the latter.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.