The context is a coach's comment after losing a soccer game. (Full article here - http://www.giravanz.jp/game/report/2015/match39.html)

苦しい時間帯に何とか凌ぎながらゼロ失点でいくと勝ちゲームの流れを作れるのですが、ただ今日のゲームで言うと、あそこで耐えきれない、失点してしまうというのがまだまだ自分たちでゲームを作れないというゲームだったのではないかなと思います。

My translation: We can tide over hard times, not concede and win games, but for today's game I think we couldn't hold them out and couldn't play how we wanted.

I'm pretty sure I understand the meaning, but I'm struggling to get it sounding natural in English. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

closed as off-topic by mirka, Earthliŋ, Dono, Hideki, user3856370 Nov 19 '15 at 19:52

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service. See: We don't do translations." – mirka, Earthliŋ, Dono, Hideki, user3856370
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• I think you're missing the essence of the statement, which is as long as they don't give up a point [even through the hard times as you stated] it can become a win. But in [their] minds, once a points is given up it won't become a win. (Seems weird he doesn't say 勝ちゲームの流れを作れない) but I think it's implied what he means. – kiss-o-matic Nov 2 '15 at 21:14

I think the first half of the translation will be more clear if you phrase it as an if–then statement:

苦しい時間帯に 何とか凌ぎながらゼロ失点でいくと 勝ちゲームの流れを作れる
If we can somehow manage to get through the difficult times of a game without losing points, we can set up the flow of a winning game

The second half of your translation is fine. Since they couldn't hold them out, it was a game that showed they still were incapable of taking charge of a game.

(If it makes you feel any better, that Japanese sentence is rambling and poorly edited. It's a run-on, and doesn't even sound natural in Japanese. To make it sound natural in English, you might want to break it up into two sentences.)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.