Situation from a story: 侍A is pursuing 侍B. 侍A meets 町人C and interrogates him:

侍B (some description)、逃げては来なんだかな。

I guess it must mean something like "didn't he come here while running away?"

I cannot quite understand the form 来なんだかな here. The answer to this question suggests 来なん is a phrase expressing a desire. It does not seem to be the case, where 侍A seemingly is wondering.

• In my original question I also asked about 〜ては form here. This has already been answered here – macraf Nov 5 '15 at 13:45

来なんだ = 来なかった. The negative past. You often hear this form in 時代劇 and from old people in fiction (think [波平]{なみへい} in Sazaesan, Dumbledore in Harry Potter...)

デジタル大辞泉の解説
なんだ[助動]

[助動][なんだら|なんで(なんだり)|なんだ|なんだ(なんだる)|なんだれ|○]動詞型活用語の未然形に付く。過去の打消しの意を表す。なかった。
[補説]語源は未詳。打消しの助動詞「ぬ」に「あった」の付いた「ぬあった」の音変化とみる説や、打消しの「なん」に過去の「た」が付いた助動詞からとする説など、諸説がある。室町時代から江戸後期まで用いられたが、江戸末期からは「なかった」がそれに代わった。現在では、主に関西方言に行われる。
「売薬の外は誰にも逢わなんだことは」〈鏡花・高野聖〉
「実否ヲ未ダ決シサセラレナンダレバ」〈天草本伊曽保・イソポが生涯〉
「物しったり物しらなんだり、物しり物しらずさ」〈滑・浮世床・初〉

Digital Daijisen gives a couple of theories about the development of this form and tells us it was used from the Muromachi era to the late Edo era, after which ~なかった took over. It goes on to say that in the modern era the form remains mainly in Kansai dialects.

Regarding its modern usage in Kansai Japanese, Wikipedia says that ~んかった is becoming more popular than ~なんだ which fits with my impression:

西日本に多い否定の助動詞「ん」の過去表現は本来「…なんだ」であるが「ん」と共通語「…なかった」が交じり合って「…んかった」という形が生まれ、「…なんだ」に取って代わりつつある。
(例)知らなんだ→知らんかった

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.