Subject: ironic story; place: Osaka; time: pre-mordern; situation: a boy is threatened with a sword-fight. More threatened than really called for a duel, so he has time.

The hero of the story says to himself:

こんな事になるんやったら何か得物を持って来るんやったなぁ。

And starts to search through his belongings for something to use as a weapon.

The situation is clear and the meaning is easy to deduce or at least I can imagine what I would say in such a situation...

...except for the latter んやったなぁ. Either it leads to the next scene (searching the belongings):

1 Gee, things turned bad... I wonder do I have anything for a weapon...

or is just a statement of resignation:

2 Now that things turned that way, I should have brought some weapon with me...

that can be said before running away (as well as before searching for a weapon).

How shall I interpret 持って来るんやったなぁ here (as 1 or 2 or maybe something else)?

In 標準語 it would be: こんな事になるんったら何か得物を持って来るんったなぁ。 – Chocolate Oct 28 '15 at 12:49
  • @choco Is it really? Let's say こんなもんやったらなぁ斬る事もでけへん is an equivalent of こんな物で斬ることもできない, but would someone say "in hyōjungo" こんなもんだったらなぁで斬ることもできない? – macraf Oct 28 '15 at 12:57
  • Hmmm... maybe...? Still (because at first I assumed it was a verb やる and your comment proved otherwise) I have no clue if and how it connected to the next scene (even as だったなぁ)... – macraf Oct 28 '15 at 13:10
    You mean "こんなもんだったらなぁ斬ることもできない"? That's definitely possible. But なぁ is also dialectal, so it might not be "pure" hyojungo. – dainichi Oct 28 '15 at 13:38

~のだった

means "should have", and んやった is just a colloquial dialectal form of that. So pretty much your number 2.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.