Subject: ironic story; place: Osaka; time: pre-mordern; situation: a boy is threatened with a sword-fight. More threatened than really called for a duel, so he has time.

The hero of the story says to himself:

こんな事になるんやったら何か得物を持って来るんやったなぁ。

And starts to search through his belongings for something to use as a weapon.

The situation is clear and the meaning is easy to deduce or at least I can imagine what I would say in such a situation...

...except for the latter んやったなぁ. Either it leads to the next scene (searching the belongings):

1 Gee, things turned bad... I wonder do I have anything for a weapon...

or is just a statement of resignation:

2 Now that things turned that way, I should have brought some weapon with me...

that can be said before running away (as well as before searching for a weapon).

How shall I interpret 持って来るんやったなぁ here (as 1 or 2 or maybe something else)?

In 標準語 it would be: こんな事になるんったら何か得物を持って来るんったなぁ。
    – chocolate
    Oct 28, 2015 at 12:49
  • @choco Is it really? Let's say こんなもんやったらなぁ斬る事もでけへん is an equivalent of こんな物で斬ることもできない, but would someone say "in hyōjungo" こんなもんだったらなぁで斬ることもできない?
    – macraf
    Oct 28, 2015 at 12:57
  • Hmmm... maybe...? Still (because at first I assumed it was a verb やる and your comment proved otherwise) I have no clue if and how it connected to the next scene (even as だったなぁ)...
    – macraf
    Oct 28, 2015 at 13:10
    You mean "こんなもんだったらなぁ斬ることもできない"? That's definitely possible. But なぁ is also dialectal, so it might not be "pure" hyojungo.
    – dainichi
    Oct 28, 2015 at 13:38

1 Answer 1

~のだった

means "should have", and んやった is just a colloquial dialectal form of that. So pretty much your number 2.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .