If I were heading toward Tokyo but not neccessarily to Tokyo I would use へ. If I were going to Tokyo I would use に. That much I understand.

My question is whether this can be extended to time.

For example, If I wanted to tell Jim I will call him around 5 (presumably sometime between 430 and 6) I would say 5時へ呼ぶでしょう.However, if I want him to be at the phone at 5 then I would say 5時に呼ぶでしょう。to indicate that I will be calling at a specific time. 

Do I have this correct, or is に always used in regard to time?

よろしくお願いします、

I've heard that explanation of へ and に in the spatial sense a lot before, but I don't think it's really terribly accurate. – snailcar Oct 26 '15 at 19:10
  • You'd say either 東京に行く or 東京へ行く if you were going to Tokyo. You might say 東京のほうへ行く・東京のほうに行く・東京のほうに向かう etc. if you were heading toward Tokyo. – Chocolate Oct 30 '15 at 8:43

To use "around" for time, use ごろ. へ is not used this way

• 5時ごろ電話するわ! → I'll call you around 5:00.

注意: Do not confuse this with "about" which is ぐらい/くらい.

× 5時ぐらい電話する → I'll call you "about" 5:00 (ブブー)
○ 5時ごろ電話する → I'll call you around 5:00 (ピンポン)

This is used for time duration instead.

• 車で行くなら、3時間ぐらいかかる → If you go by car, it'll take about 3 hours.

*Note that my mapping of around ←→ ごろ and about ←→ ぐらい is arbitrary, and it would make equally as much sense in English to swap them. However, for my own sanity in their usage, I always did it this way by thinking of "around" as drawing a "round" circle on a timeline, like so:

enter image description here

Thus, "around 5:00" gives an easier (IMO) visual representation of when this time might be.

Would you say it is a common mistake for native speakers to use 5時ぐらい for "around 5 o'clock"? I am prone to making this mistake and I pay special attention when speaking and listening, thus I noticed I hear it quite often. – macraf Oct 27 '15 at 0:29
    「5時ぐらい」 is 100% correct, grammatical, etc. all by itself. When a verb phrase follows, we usually add a 「に」 to it. In informal speech, however, that 「に」 sometimes gets dropped. Try googling ”時ぐらい行く”. – l'électeur Oct 27 '15 at 0:57
  • 「5時ごろ」「5時ごろに」「5時くらいに」「5時ぐらいに」 all sound alright to me... 「5時前後に」でもいいかも – Chocolate Oct 30 '15 at 8:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.