Okay here is my dilemma, I am going to a write to a Japanese friend a birthday letter but I don't know how should I construct it; I've tried to search around the net and I found both formal and informal letters.

Now the problem is that friend of mine happens to be my boss in my Job too which means in my case I don't know which kind of format should I use in writing the letter.

Do I use the formal style with 拝啓 opening remarks or just write my message to him instantly (without the opening and closing remarks) and how should I address him in he letter? should I use さま、さん?

How do you usually talk to him? Do you use keigo, -desu, -masu, ~~さん etc? – Chocolate Oct 25 '15 at 3:44
  • yes I use -san but most of the time we talk in English but I still address him using -san – sacaredsushi Oct 25 '15 at 8:11

I think that it is perfectly fine to use -さん when writing the letter, since that's what you normally use anyway. If you often speak to him informally, then you can revert to that style of speech after the opening. I find this to be a good example:

例えば・・○○さん、お誕生日おめでとうございます。の後に

• また今度職場の皆でカラオケに行きましょう!○○さんのあまい歌声をまた聞かせてくださいね。

• また今度○○さんおすすめのラーメン屋さんに連れていってください!

といった雰囲気です。

Speaking from experience of writing to professors whom I'm on very friendly terms with. Hope it's not too late.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.