Consider the following sentences.

A: 昨日たこ焼きを作ってみた。

B: 昨日たこ焼きを作ろうとした。

A means that "I tried to make takoyaki and I really made it."

Questions

Does B always mean that "I tried to make takoyaki but I (did not)/(failed to) make it." ?

• A doesn't mean "I tried to make" but "I tried making". – user4092 Oct 25 '15 at 4:08
  • @user4092, what's the difference? – dainichi Oct 29 '15 at 4:14

No, B just says "I tried to make it", and it says nothing about the result, whether or not "I" was able to actually make it.

But as you might guess, a sentence like B is usually followed by something that prevents the speaker from doing so smoothly. Ultimately, the speaker may or may not succeed.

昨日たこ焼きを作ろうとした。だけど近所の店でタコが売られていなかったので、諦めた。

昨日たこ焼きを作ろうとした。おいしいたこ焼きができた。: Huh?

昨日たこ焼きを作ろうとした。だけど近所の店でタコが売られていなかった。車で1時間走ってタコを買ってきて、最終的にはおいしいたこ焼きができた。: OK

| improve this answer | |
  • Doesn't B include a situation when you just intended to do something (thought about doing something), but "failed" (or resigned because of some condition) even before trying? – macraf Oct 24 '15 at 11:34
  • If you just thought of doing something, "~しようと思った" is mainly used. "~しようとした" is different, and usually means you actually attempted to do it at least for a moment (eg ネットで作り方を調べる、立ち上がって冷蔵庫の中身を見る、…) – naruto Oct 25 '15 at 6:25
  • Does 宿題をしようとしたとき、友達が来た indicate that I actually did something? Or just intended to do my homework? – macraf Oct 25 '15 at 6:34
  • Somewhere between you decide to do your homework now, and walk to your desk, open a textbook and actually start your homework. A lazy boy may say to his mother "今、宿題をしようとしてた!" for hours, though. – naruto Oct 25 '15 at 6:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.