In a spoken story (action in late-Edo, early-Meiji period) there was a passage describing someone's life situation (a street peddler selling dubious medicines) using the following words:

この人は藪医者と言いたいが、
は(っ)ちごぐらいでさか(い)やりません

The meaning of the second part was unclear. At the time I was trying to analyze what was being said, a native Japanese speaker claimed it was 破竹ぐらいで食べられません however I could no confirm any other metaphorical usage of 破竹 except for [破竹]{はちく}の[勢]{いきお}い. And this sentence did not make much sense to me.

Now something made me revisit the notes and I started to wonder about this comparison. Even if the second part is incomprehensible, what might be the reason to compare someone (selling snake oil) to a quack? They sound similar, no use for が.

Is there any preconception of 藪医者? That you could negate to describe someone's situation? Like "rich" for example (I doubt though). As I understand the concept of saying と言いたいが here is to express something in line with "If I called him X, it would mean he is rich, but he was not."

Even if I have no way to get back to the original story, how to tackle with what I have? Are there any clues in either in the meaning of 藪医者 or the phrase wording?

ビデオか、音源かなにか、あります? – Chocolate Oct 24 '15 at 9:16
  • @Shoko It's complicated. – macraf Oct 25 '15 at 0:22

My guess would be that it is some kind of variation of:

この人は藪医者と言いたいが、
筍{たけのこ}ぐらいでしかありません
I'd like to say he is a “bamboo thicket” doctor (= quack),
but he's barely a bamboo shoot.

筍医者 is a humorous term for a person who is so utterly incompetent they cannot even be called a fully-grown quack. I think it's safe to say that this term was in existence during the time frame of your story.

• Wow! やぶ医者にも至らない... So the perception of a quack was not that negative, at least their skills were recognised to a degree. Is there any chance for さかい being Kansai-ben here? さかい for ので makes no sense followed by ありません, right? – macraf Nov 8 '15 at 3:02
  • @macraf I clarified my post in case it was misleading. タケノコ医者 is even more incompetent than a やぶ医者. As for the Kansai-ben possibilities, Choco or l'électeur will be of better help… – mirka Nov 8 '15 at 3:21
  • That was super-clear from the beginning and I just wanted to say I was impressed. Anyway, that was exactly what I was asking for ("how to deal with ambiguity"). To disparage a person 藪医者 was used here as a positive point of reference; although used stand-alone it would be highly negative in reference to a doctor. – macraf Nov 8 '15 at 3:27
  • @macraf Ok, I see what you're saying now. I enjoy your laser-sharp logical approach to things! – mirka Nov 8 '15 at 3:35
    @macraf Never heard of it, but I guess so. Maybe older or more cultured people are familiar with it. Could also be regional thing. foodslink.jp/syokuzaihyakka/syun/vegitable/hachiku.htm – mirka Nov 8 '15 at 6:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.