How should I translate こともある in this sentence (response to '何それ?'):

あなたが辞書を使うなんて、はなはだ珍妙なこともあるもんです

Literal translation of はなはだ珍妙なこともある would be 'there are also really odd things', but that makes no sense.

One suggestion seems to be that it means 'among other things' so I get:

Because (もん), among other things (こともある), it's really odd that (なんて) you use a dictionary

Is this a correct translation? If so can anyone offer a suggestion as to how we arrive at that from the literal translation? (and why do I have to keep reaching for my advanced grammar book to read a children's story? It's really dispiriting.)

The latter part is in line with: "wow, strange things happen!"

もん (ものだ) is used here emphatically to indicate emotion (hence I decided for "wow").

こともある literally stands for occasionally, but as the English verb to happen already covers the occasional aspect the meaning can be expressed just with "things happen".

+1 even for the first sentence alone. – l'électeur Oct 22 '15 at 0:48

Literal translation of ”こともある” is "It happens / takes place sometimes / Whatever happens happens - as reffered to by Donald RRumsfeld," e.g., "週中に会社を休むこともある - I happen to take a dayoff sometimes in a weekday."

In addition, you'd better to register the pattern, "....するなんて ...もんです(もんだ)" as a common set of phrase to mean a surprise and cynicism in your collocation list.

For example,

女の子がボクシングをするなんてたまげたもんです(もんだ) - Girls do boxing? It's a surprise.

豪華船で世界一周するなんて豪華なもんです(もんだ) ー I heard you are going to make a trip around the world by a luxury liner. It's really gorgeous.

そのくらいでくたばるなんて、ひ弱なものですなア(もんですな)ー You are exhausted with that much exercise. What a feeble guy you are.

一千兆円も借金があってお金をじゃぶじゃぶ流すって、安倍もいい気なもんですなア - To flush a massive cash into the market with 1000 trillion-yen national debt behind, Abe is really taking things too easy.

I agree that ものだ is used here to indicate emotion, but this emotion is not "wow". Let me offer another explanation from my reference book:

~ものだ / ~ものではない is used to express something that is obvious, or that obviously ought to be.

Short expression for memorizing: 弱い者いじめをするものじゃないよ = Weak people should not be treated badly!

Examples of usage:

(father to his child) もう10時半だよ。早く寝なさい。子供は10時前に寝るものだ。

だれにも一つや二つは苦手なことがあるものだ。

So, my translation would be "You are using dictionaries and the like, but well, there are really weird things [in the world]." And this "も" in "珍妙なことある" implies, that using a dictionary is one of these "really weird things".

Hope it helps =)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.