Just done with my adjective lessons and have a question on the same. The question may be too silly, but its a road block to my thought process so need some advice.

I have learned in basic lessons that, to negate a sentence, we can use じゃありません instead of です, or can use た to form the past tense.

For example:

さとう さん は せんせい です。 - Mr. Sato is a teacher.
さとう さん は せんせい じゃありません。- Mr. Sato is not a teacher.
さとう さん は せんせい でした。 - Mr. Sato was a teacher.
さとう さん は せんせい じゃありませんでした。 - Mr. Sato wasn't a teacher.

But when it comes to い adjectives can I use this rule instead of くない、かった、くなかった? I understand for な adjectives this rule follows.

For example, instead of saying:

てんきは あつくない です。
てんきは あつかった です。
てんきは あつくなかった です。

Can I say:

てんきは あつい じゃありません。
てんきは あつい でした。
てんきは あつい じゃありませんでした。

These examples are correct:

てんきは あつくない です。

てんきは あつかった です。

てんきは あつくなかった です。

However, the です on the end just serves to add politeness. It does not have the same function as the だ/です which follows a noun (i.e. am/is etc.).

These example are all incorrect:

てんきは あつい じゃありません。

てんきは あつい でした。

てんきは あつい じゃありませんでした。

In English we say "it is hot". But when an i-adjective is used at the end of a sentence (rather than before a noun) the "is" part is implicit in the i-adjective, so you don't need (indeed shouldn't) put だ/です, or it's adaptations, at the end.

I'm likely confusing you by introducing this alternative form since your class/book has chosen to teach the 〜ないです form, but here goes anyway:

Instead of:

てんきは あつくない です。

てんきは あつくなかった です。

You may say:

てんきは あつく ありません。

てんきは あつく ありませんでした。

These two forms only work at the end of the sentence; you cannot use them before a noun.

You cannot.

You might be used to thinking of です as "be/is" from its usages after nouns and na-adjectives, and in those cases it often makes sense.

After i-adjectives (if you call them that), です is a uninflected politeness marker, which has nothing to do with be/is. あつい means "is hot" and carries the whole "finite-ness" (i.e. inflection for tense) of the whole phrase てんきは あつい です.

If あつい means "is hot", you might wonder why it means just "hot" in あつい てんき (hot weather). As @user3856370 says, one way to think of this would just be to accept that that's how it is when i-adjectives are used before nouns. A somewhat more complicated analysis is that あつい てんき really means "Weather [which] is-hot". This analysis is more "scalable", since it will allow you to analyze sentences like はなが たかい ひと, a person [whose] nose is-tall.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.