Introduction: Long time ago, when I had no idea Velcro tape was called マジックテープ in Japanese I tried to suggest using it to my Japanese colleague. He had no idea about the word "Velcro", so I tried an example of bur, but I found Japanese people think of food when they hear ゴボウ (burdock) rather than its seeds.

Now I have found these stuck to my jeans:

Japanese burs

(in reality they were greener, about 5 mm in size).

Question: What is the plant (or seeds) called in Japanese and is its feature of sticking to animals/human known well enough to use it as an explanation of the way Velcro tape works?

| improve this question | | | | |

The generic name you are lookig for would be 「ひっつき[虫]{むし}」 or 「くっつき虫」.

「ひっつく」 means "to adhere to". 「くっつく」 is its synonym.

http://matsue-hana.com/yasou/hittukimusi.html

As to your other question, I just remembered hearing somewhere long ago how Velcro was invented from the observation of these plants, but I think that is because reading your question has triggered my memory.

「ひっつき虫のようにひっつくテープ」 would only be understood by those who are familiar with the word 「ひっつき虫」, which I feel like was in my active vocabulary as a kid but is not really there any more.

「マジックテープ」 would probably be the only word that every Japanese-speaker is familiar with.

• マイナーな方言だと思ってましたが、Wikipediaにも(俗語として)記事があったのでびっくり… – naruto Oct 19 '15 at 12:08
  • Velcro themselves claim it was burr that inspired the tape. Several European languages (German, Norwegian, Polish) call the tape with a name derived from the word burr in their vernaculars, hence my immediate (failed) try with ゴボウ. – macraf Oct 19 '15 at 12:15
    @l'électeur: Why do you keep making all of your answers into community wikis? I don't think your answers need true community collaboration. If you're trying to be "humble" by not gaining any rep, I assure you no one cares. – istrasci Oct 19 '15 at 14:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.