A lady in front of me in a line to the register had a pack of udon noodles in her basket. It read:

うどん・手打ち式

How much buzz is there in such a phrase? Is it comparable to using 手打ち風? Or could it have some merit to it?

Also, I assume that a real hand-made udon makers would simply write 手打ちうどん. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

「手打ち風」だと、「手打ちっぽい」(つまりホントは手打ちじゃない)ってことになるよね・・・(もしかしたら「手打ち式」も、実は「手打ちうどん」じゃなかったりして・・・?) – Chocolate Oct 15 '15 at 12:24

Basically, we are talking legal hype here.

「[手打]{てう}ち[式]{しき}うどん」 (= "handmade-style udon") is just the best-sounding and most-appealing name to the consumers that you can legally give to machine-made udon.

If the udon were actually handmade, it would definitely be named 「手打ちうどん」 without using 「式」 as you stated so that its naturally higher price would effortlessly be justified.

「~~式」 is a terribly vague "suffix" describing what style/form/origin a product or service represents. Most consumers would be aware of the inaccuracy of the description in their heads, but it gives us a certain level of comfort and appeal that is enough to make us feel that it might actually be close to the real thing.

「~~[風]{ふう}」 is one step even more vague and unreliable. It would only appeal to those who know close to nothing about the real thing. I often order the 「ミラノ風ドリア」 at Saizeriya because I like how it tastes, but not because it tastes like doria made and served in Milan. I have never even been to Italy! From that name, however, I just "know" that the dish must be pretty much a Japanese (or Saizeriya's) creation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.