I just want to ask if it is okay to say to your boss who is going home after work お疲れ様でした気をつけてください or it is impolite?

Thank you

• Why you would use「気をつけてください」? It actually means "Please be careful / caution". So this is not the problem of impolite or what, it's actually improper to use. (Of course it is polite you use as you added ください but it is not the time to use this phrase.) – AkiEru Oct 14 '15 at 8:29
  • You mean if it was okay to say it every time? – macraf Oct 14 '15 at 8:31
  • yeah, if it is proper, because every time he leaves ahead of us, he will say bye bye on us, I am just wondering if it is proper to say that because when our teacher aid that to me when I text her that I gonna be late so I thought it is okay to say it to someone departing out – sacaredsushi Oct 14 '15 at 8:47
  • 「お疲れ様でした。お気をつけて!」とかどうですか。 – Chocolate Oct 14 '15 at 9:04

Yes and no.

The phrase 気を付けてください alone is in polite form (towards a person of a higher standing slightly better would be: お気を付けてください). However it does feel a little bit more like "please take care" rather than casual English greeting "take care". It would be strange if you used the phrase every single time a person leaves.

To strangers or people with whom you rarely meet, or towards a person you meet every day, but in an unusual situation like a typhoon coming, a phrase お気を付けてお帰りください would be very appropriate.

Then again, you might contract it to the previous お気を付けてください, or お気を付けて depending on familiarity, context, characters left in an electronic message, etc. I guess your teacher considered your situation of being late to be unusual.

(お気を付けてください would be also appropriate for a variety of situations, like towards someone going for a business trip, going abroad for holidays, or when you want to be nice and show your gratitude for something (being invited to a dinner), but you asked specifically for "going home after work" and that might feel a bit strange repeated day by day)

(...yet again, if you make it a ritual to say so, you're good to go, then a shorter お気をつけて might work best, I guess)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.