Here is the sentence.

新聞で寄付金詐欺をやったとき十万円もの大金を寄付した人がいただろう。

Removing them, does the meaning of the sentence change as much?

You changed your question after I posted an answer. – l'électeur Oct 13 '15 at 8:47
  • @l'électeur Yes, I would like to ask more about removing the 「もの」too. Sorry, if I made the mistake in editing the question in improper way. – George Oct 13 '15 at 8:53
    @George It looks like it worked out okay this time because the answerer was willing to edit. In the future, though, you should probably ask your new question separately instead of editing. In general, edits should try to avoid invalidating any existing answers. – snailplane Oct 13 '15 at 10:04

Can I omit「の」?

Yes. If you do so, the sentence structure (← grammar) will change but the meaning will be retained almost completely.

「[新聞]{しんぶん}での[寄付金詐欺]{きふきんさぎ}をやったとき、[十万円]{じゅうまんえん}もの[大金]{たいきん}を[寄付]{きふ}した人がいただろう。」

Here, 「新聞での」 modifies 「寄付金詐欺」. 「新聞での」functions adjectivally.

「新聞寄付金詐欺をやったとき、十万円もの大金を寄付した人がいただろう。」

In this sentence, 「新聞」 modifies 「やった」. 「新聞」 functions adverbially.

Both sentences are grammatical and natural-sounding. They practically have the same meaning as well.

Can I omit「もの」?

No. You cannot omit the 「もの」 in 「十万円もの大金」 because you cannot say 「十万円大金」. If you used 「という」 instead of 「もの」, it would at least be a grammatical phrase, but 「もの」 will express the surprise much better.

***For learners interested in pitch accents, this 「もの」 is pronounced differently than 「もの」 meaning "thing". The pitch accent is on the 「も」 in this 「もの」. It is on the 「の」 in 「[物]{もの}」 and 「[者]{もの}」.

• Thanks for your description. Could you please tell me if I can remove the 「もの」as well? – George Oct 13 '15 at 8:47
  • What if you use 十万円 adverbially? Though it's still unnatural to be combined with 大金 instead of just 金... – user4092 Oct 13 '15 at 9:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.