I assume "todomerumono" or 留める物 is the "a place to stay".

Something like "留める物が要する"?

Since 要する is to need... It's a very direct translation.

I'm trying to write stories in Japanese to learn words, and this story involves the heroine asking for a place to stay. The land is fantasy/magical and pre-industrial in case that affects word choice.

--- UPDATE ---

The heroine is saying it.

• Is this sentence being used by the heroine to actually ask for a place to stay, or is it just a statement saying the heroine needs a place to stay? – Blavius Oct 12 '15 at 18:25
  • @Blavius The heroine is asking it. – user2738698 Oct 12 '15 at 18:39
  • @user2738698 could you give a little more context of conversation? A few lines from it? This would help us point you to a more natural translation. – Ninj0r Oct 12 '15 at 23:28

I think it's more common in Japanese to use 'want' instead of 'need' (or just implications of necessity/desire) when you're talking about oneself--otherwise, it comes off as a bit strong or desperate. If the heroine is indeed asking in such a way, then sova's answer would work.

Otherwise, here are some roundabout (but more 'Japanese') ways to go about it:

泊まれるところを探していますが…
I'm looking for a place where I can stay [and would you happen to know of any?]...

泊まる場所、ありますか?
Is there a place to stay? [Hopefully in your house?]

+1 but using 「探しているのですが」 would be far more natural than 「探していますが」. At least that would be the native speaker's choice. – l'électeur Oct 12 '15 at 23:28

You know, for a first guess, that's really good. In modern Japanese I would probably say something like

泊まる場所がいる

泊まる場所 (tomaru basho = crashing/staying-place = a place to stay)

が (particle GA)

いる need

You can also riff on what you've got by saying

泊まる場所が必要です

必要です (hitsuyou desu) = is necessary

要する, although properly placed conceptually in translation, actually means something like "in summation" and in usually used in the form of 要するに.

(simple english / japanese example) There were three thousand blue flowers, ten thousand green flowers, and five thousand white flowers, 要するに, there were a lot of flowers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.