I am really confused with the phrase "やる気が違います" that I saw used as a Twitter hashtag. The literal meaning is: "The motivation is different (than usual or average?)"

Is there some subtle nuance in the meaning of "違います" that I am not aware of? Or does it simply mean "The motivation is wrong (or misdirected)"?

A good first question!

It would only benefit you to be able to use 「[違]{ちが}う」 for this rather important meaning. It means "better", "at a higher level", etc., which is almost the opposite of what you were thinking.

「やる[気]{き}が違います。」

thus, means "Our/My motivation is higher than theirs/others'."

Depending on the context, it could also mean "Our/My motivation is higher than before."

This 「違う」 is used quite often in advertisement as well as in our everyday conversations (for example 「やっぱりプロは違います」).

See definition ちが・う〔ちがふ〕【違う】一-1-㋑ in デジタル大辞泉 :「両者の間に隔たりがある。差がある。また、他と異なって[勝]{まさ}っている。」

• Ah..... So the 「違う」 in this phrase means "something different in a better way".... Ugh.... It hard to guess the subtle context.... Thanks for the help... Should I mark this question as answered or should I wait for another question? – Satori Wita Oct 12 '15 at 8:59
    @SatoriWita If you replace verb "to differ" with a noun "difference", it gets similar to other languages. For example "Ford. Feel the difference". The "difference" here is undoubtedly intended to be positive, although taken literally shouldn't be. – macraf Oct 18 '15 at 4:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.