I assume ご連絡申しあげます and ご連絡を申しあげます have the same meaning, but differ in style. I use them interchangeably below. This question is not about existence of を unless it was relevant to understanding the phrase.

Having received an email ending with announcement of future contact in the form of 「ご連絡を申し上げます」 I am wondering how this phrase is built up, so that it is accepted.

My main point of confusion is using the verb 申し上げる a humble form of "to talk", "to say", "to express" with a noun 連絡 meaning "connection", "contact", "communication". Using both words as predicate and subject makes no sense in English and probably most Indo-European languages (while the same words have equivalent usage patterns in many other combinations).

To help understand readers, what is my concern, I have following hypotheses:

1) Is 連絡 a thing that you can say or express like お礼を申し上げます/お礼を言います? Can I simplify (keigo aside) it to 連絡を言います? (I can't find any proof in dictionaries it works this way)

2) Maybe as suggested here or here 申し上げます preceded by お〜/ご〜 works like 致します, but how universal would it be? Can I say お待たせを申し上げます?

3) If お待たせ example does not sound strange, maybe the construction is some kind of a contraction of (お待たせいたしました)を申し上げます being "I would like to express - sorry to keep you waiting".

4) Or maybe it is just a set phrase ご連絡申しあげます coming from custom or tradition?

The question title says 「ご連絡申し上げます」, but the first sentence of the question itself says 「ご連絡申し上げます」. Is that a typo? – snailcar Oct 10 '15 at 0:33
    @snailboat The title says 「ご連絡申しあげます」 because that's what I see in at least one dictionary. The first sentence says 「ご連絡を申し上げます」 because that's the content of the message I referred to. I don't know if it was a typo. I am open to hear about it. I assumed the clauses were equivalent. – macraf Oct 10 '15 at 0:42
    Thanks for explaining. I was confused because the question didn't mention を anywhere. Both versions are attested, but ご連絡申し上げます (without を) is considerably more common. – snailcar Oct 10 '15 at 1:51

申し上げる has two different meanings. The first one is "to say" in a humble form, the second is "to do" also in a humble form. Here is an excerpt from a dictionary regarding the latter one:

もうし‐あ・げる〔まうし‐〕【申(し)上げる】
「お」や「御 (ご) 」の付いた自分の行為を表す体言に付けて、その行為の対象を敬う。…してさしあげる。「お答え―・げます」「御相談―・げたく参上致しました」

Although the compound verb 申し上げる contains a 申す part related to "speaking" it is not treated literally in contemporary Japanese. 申し上げる in the 2nd meaning is used as a light verb (補助動詞) expressing the utmost level of politeness.

So from your hypotheses 1-4, the second one is correct.

You can use お〜/ご〜申し上げます in different phrases, although I think it sounds too polite to be used often. Maybe its similar to the language used in some diplomatic documents in English - if used in a daily life, they might sound strange.

It doesn't mean this pattern is limited to official documents, but I feel it would be too polite for example to use towards a customer in a restaurant or a shop. In this article you can find a comparison of the levels of politeness with the 申し上げる being the most respectful.

You can say お待たせ申し上げました. It is more polite than お待たせいたしました. Here you can find minutes from a meeting of a certain council in the Ministry of Finance opening with the sentence 「どうも大変お待たせ申し上げまして、申しわけございません。」

Here you can find a transcript of proceedings (PDF) from the Diet containing several examples of this pattern: 「お待たせを申し上げまして、大変に失礼をいたしました」「お願い申し上げます」「お願いを申し上げ、ごあいさつといたします」「ごあいさつを申し上げます」

Here is an example of "お待たせ申し上げます" from a national council. どうも大変お待たせ申し上げまして、申しわけございません。 mof.go.jp/about_mof/councils/fiscal_system_council/… Let me update the answer. – Keita ODA Oct 11 '15 at 4:27
    Please feel free to. I am no more a native in English, and surely you have a better skill. If you think the middle part is not related to the question, the reason that I explained about a light verb is that 申し上げます in this form is a light verb or helping verb (補助動詞) developed from a regular verb. Also, I found an example of お待たせ「を」申し上げます. It was from a comittee of the diet. Maybe you can add this too. kokkai.ndl.go.jp/SENTAKU/sangiin/155/0020/15511130020002.pdf – Keita ODA Oct 13 '15 at 12:53

ご連絡申し上げる is a humble form of 連絡する while ご連絡を申し上げる (a little awkward phrase) is two words of ご連絡 and 申し上げる.

• Google: "ご連絡申し上げます" 517,000 results "ご連絡を申し上げます" 316,000 results. Maybe it's awkward, but it is certainly used and the ratio/sheer volume do not suggest a common mistake/misspelling, even if dictionaries list only one form. Anyway, this has nothing to do with my question, I already referenced sources that explained the meaning. But they do not explain why words literally meaning "to say contact" constitute a valid phrase in Japanese, which is my question. – macraf Oct 10 '15 at 14:26
    @macraf Google Search result estimates aren't reliable. If I search the Google Japanese Web N-gram corpus instead, I find 128796 and 3770 results respectively. – snailcar Oct 10 '15 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.