This is from Yuki-onna:

Mosaku no kao ni iki wo fu-tsu to fukikaketa.

The "fuutsu/fu-tsu" is written in katakana and is most likely an onomatopoeic word, related to breathing. It's not essential to the translation, but it's really bugging me.

Questions like this would be a little easier to answer if we could see the original Japanese. For future questions, if you can't type it in, maybe you could take a picture? :-) – snailboat Oct 7 '15 at 23:20
    Thank you! i found the answer, but I'll make sure to do that next time. :) – Sophie Proud Oct 11 '15 at 16:43

This is either a typo or a "reado".

Trying to reconstruct the original sentence from your rōmaji version, I'm guessing it is

茂作の顔に息をフーッと吹きかけた

フーッと is listed in some dictionaries (e.g. WWWJDIC)

ふーっと
フーッと
(adv,on-mim)

with a whiff; with a puff

The ッ is small (compare ッ and ツ) and is geminating the following "t" sound. You're correct in assuming it's an onomatopoeia and it's usually used for the sound produced when breathing out (either forcefully, or with a sound).

The romanization would be f­ūtto (and not fūtsu to).

There are other onomatopoeic words that follow this pattern. Either they are written in all hiragana, or in katakana with only the と in hiragana:

• じーっと or ジーッと
  • ぼーっと or ボーッと

or more generally also

• ささっと or ササッと
  • ぎゅっと or ギュッと
  • etc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.