I'm trying to learn Japanese. I'm reading (trying to anyway) a Japanese kid book and found this line:

あさ
いもほり
うでまくり
えんやらやっと
おおきな おいも

I found by Googling that やっと means 'finally'. But what does えんやら mean?

• Please always post the full sentence for context. – Earthliŋ Oct 7 '15 at 17:09
  • It would also be great to see any ideas you have about the meaning. – Darcinon Oct 7 '15 at 17:10
  • I found by Googling that やっと means 'finally' – raystubbs Oct 7 '15 at 17:13
  • My sorry attempt at translation produced gibberish "Potato digging in the morning, rolling up sleeves, finally, large potato." I'm an absolute beginner. Sorry. – raystubbs Oct 7 '15 at 17:21
  • So is it えんやら or えにゃら? – istrasci Oct 7 '15 at 17:29

It's probably えんやらやっと (spelled using a small っ in modern Japanese), and to me it sounds like one of the various words people say when physically exerting themselves, e.g. lifting something heavy. Like a big potato.

Think よいしょっと.

Edit: According to this Google result that is exactly what it is.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks a lot for this answer. Like I said I'm a newbie so I probably wouldn't have figured this out. – raystubbs Oct 7 '15 at 20:48
  • Interesting, I didn't know this one. I know えんやこら, which seems related. – dainichi Oct 13 '15 at 10:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.