Is it just the て-form of ます? So, could I just use 食べまして instead of 食べて? Leading to my next question (everything from here on is assumed):

Since 食べまして is the polite form of 食べて, why wouldn't you use 食べましてください instead of 食べてください, isn't that even more polite? But then again, I never heard of 食べましてください, so what is it about the ~まして part?

Yes, it is the -て form of ます. But it's a little more restricted, so you need to be a bit careful.

To be polite, you normally only need to use the です/ます form for the final verb. Any other verbs can be in their normal -て form. But if you really want to be polite, then you can put the other verbs in their polite -ます form, obviously resulting in -まして. It is often found in keigo sentences.

ご迷惑をおかけしまして申し訳ありません。

However, you cannot combine it with ください. The phrase 「食べましてください」 is highly unnatural, if not ungrammatical. To give a request, stick with the regular -て + ください (or use a keigo expression if you still want to be very polite).

That said, sentences can end with -まして, but it is never a request (as said before, this isn't typically used for requests); it is a cut-off mid-sentence, with the second part unsaid.

田中さんからお電話がありまして - Tanaka-san called...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.