Is my interpretation of this sentence from the Tobira textbook accurate?

先生がおっしゃるように、言葉は毎日勉強しなければ上手にならないと思います。

I'm guessing that it means that I think that I won't improve unless I study every day like sensei says? Or could it mean that sensei thinks that I won't improve unless I study every day like he says? Or is it something totally different?

I'm not really sure.

Yes, I believe the author / speaker is the subject of 「思います」.

「先生」 is the subject of 「おっしゃる」, and as such, 「先生がおっしゃるように」 can be thought of independently as functioning like an adverb, without "setting the subject" of the sentence.

先生がおっしゃるように、

As [ my / our ] teacher says,

言葉は毎日勉強しなければ上手にならないと思います。

[ I ] think that, with languages, one will not get better if one does not study every day.

Thus, the complete sentence could be translated to something like your first guess:

As my teacher says, I think that, with languages, one will not get better if one does not study every day.

|improve this answer|||||
    Why is everyone ignoring the word 「言葉」? – l'électeur Oct 5 '15 at 6:58
    その「言葉」は、「言語」language って意味です – Chocolate Oct 5 '15 at 22:29
  • @Shoko Thanks! I hope the revised translation is more accurate now. – seafood258 Oct 6 '15 at 4:42
    Given the おっしゃる construction, I think "As my/our teacher says" would be preferable to "the teacher" – virmaior Oct 6 '15 at 12:58
  • @virmaior That is also true. Thanks for pointing that out! – seafood258 Oct 6 '15 at 17:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.