I'm not sure how to use ってば and もう in a sentence.

やだってばもう!

^from 明日、ママがいない first episode at the beginning (if you watched it)

How can I use ってば and もう in a sentence?

• Are you sure it's not いやだってばもう ? – Ninj0r Oct 1 '15 at 23:13
  • I'm sure it's not that. – Michamichi Oct 1 '15 at 23:45
    @Ninj0r 「いや」 is often pronounced as 「や」. – l'électeur Oct 2 '15 at 0:27

「やだ」(yada) is a casual way of saying "I don't like it" or "I don't want to" or even "Gross" or something along those lines -- mainly, "dislike." You often hear little kids use this word as a stand-alone sentence.

「◯◯ってば」(-tte ba) connects to what came directly before it and means "I already said ___!" or "I already told you ____!" or "I'm telling you, ____!"

「もう」(mou) can mean "already" as in 「もう帰った」(Mou kaetta = "_____ already went home."), however 「もう!」 is a stand-alone word that means something more along the lines of "Sheesh!" or "Jeez!" or "Man!" (It is not a swear word or euphemism for one, but depending on the user's style of English, some English speakers might more likely say a stronger word like "God!" or "Shit!" in this kind of situation, such as "You're being such a brat. God."). If the tone of the sentence is not agitated, it could be a softer「もう」like in the title of the manga 『まったく君ってばもう』 (Mattaku Kimi-tte ba, Mou = [You're Always] Totally You, Sheesh...) where the 「もう」is slightly miffed but affectionate like the English phrase, "You crazy kid, you."

So the sentence could be written as 「『やだ』ってば!もう!」or「『やだ』ってば、もう!」.

To answer your question, "How can I use ってば and もう in a sentence?", 「もう!」 is usually uttered as its own sentence, but when said quickly right on the heels of the previous sentence, it could be combined with a 「、」 to make it into one sentence. However, realize that 「ってば」 is associated with the preceding words, not with the 「もう!」. You could make a sentence such as 「『行かない』ってば、もう!」(Ikanai-tte ba, mou! = "I said I'm not going, dang it!") or 「『邪魔なんだ』ってば、もう!」(Jama nan da-tte ba, mou! = "'You're bothering me,' I said! Jeez!" or "I said, 'You're in the way!' Jeez!")

| improve this answer | |
    ありがとうございます!This is very helpful – Michamichi Oct 2 '15 at 4:33

やだってばもう! ≒

「やだ!」ってば、もう!

In this context, 「ってば」 is a sentence-ending particle that expresses one's frustration over the listener's inability to understand one's feelings.

「~~[言]{い}えば」 ⇒ 「~~って言えば」 ⇒ 「~~ってば」

Thus, one could see that 「って」 functions quotatively. "I'm saying ~~~~~. Can't you understand?"

Moving on to 「もう」...

「もう」 has several meanings. The most well-known among J-learners would be "already". (Just my observation. I am not a J-learner.)

In this context, however, while officially an adverb, 「もう」 functions just like an interjection that helps express your feelings emphatically. Basically, it is saying "I've had enough (of this)!"

So, 「やだってばもう!」 means something along the lines of:

"I'm saying I don't want to (or 'I can't'), can't you hear?"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.