In Yosh's answer to the question What are the ways to express someone's condolences?, this link states that Buddhist terms should not be used in expressing condolences to a Christian in Japanese:

故人がキリスト教徒の場合

仏教用語を使わないように注意しましょう。

※主な仏教用語 「お悔やみ」 「冥福」 「成仏」 「供養」 「弔う」 「仏」 「僧」

If this is accurate, I've been looking at this list of condolences and this one, and I see very little that could be used. Almost all of the samples include 「お悔やみ」 and a phrase such as 「安らかにご永眠されますようお祈りいたします」 or 「故人のご冥福をお祈りいたします」, which could potentially be appropriate for a Christian recipient who is Roman Catholic but do not sound appropriate for a Protestant (Protestants differ theologically on what happens to a soul/body after death, but generally do not believe the departed souls need to be prayed for. In English-language Protestant condolences, it is common to express that you will pray for the family of the deceased in this difficult time).

I have been informed by a Japanese Congregationalist (a type of Protestant) that his father (who was a Congregational church pastor, 会衆派教会のキリスト教徒) just passed away.

How can I alter

ご尊父様のご逝去を悼み、謹んでお悔みを申し上げます。

ご遺族皆様のお気持ちを思いますと心が痛みます。皆様のために祈っています。

to make it appropriate for a Protestant recipient?

As a Protestant myself, I wouldn't on first glance think of お悔やみ as 仏教用語 - it would sound just fine to me. Still, not being a native speaker, it might have connotations I'm not aware of.
    – Sjiveru
    Oct 1, 2015 at 17:15

1 Answer 1

How about this Christian version?

These phrases don't include 「お悔やみ」 「冥福」 「成仏」 「供養」 「弔う」 「仏」 「僧」.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .