Both words mean "circle", although 丸 has also other meanings. But what's the nuance between them?

輪【わ】 is closer to ring or loop rather than circle. A 輪 doesn't necessarily be precisely circular, as long as it forms a loop. For example, the Japanese word for rubber band is 輪ゴム; it can deform and have a triangular shape.

丸【まる】 is a circle typically drawn on a paper, or displayed on a screen (The circle symbol () is called 丸). The important nuance of 丸 is that it must not have a sharp corner/edge. There's an i-adjective 丸い which refers to any round, cornerless objects. We can even say 丸い三角 (rounded triangle). And 丸 also means 'correct'.

And one more:

円【えん】: circle as defined in geometry, which is perfectly-round and should be drawn by a compass.

So 輪 would be something like a "turn"? I.e. something that "runs" a path then connects reaching the starting point? – Yuuza Sep 30 '15 at 8:23
    Yes, I think that's the important nuance of 輪 (cf. メビウスの輪) – naruto Sep 30 '15 at 8:28
  • 丸い三角 = "rounded triangle", right? – senshin Sep 30 '15 at 18:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.