Skipping the how/why/etc, I have a daikyu that has earned the name 'Windcaller'. I'm familiar with kaze(風) for wind, but I'm a bit perplexed about which verb invokes the best match for the intent of caller in this context.

  • yobiyoseru(呼び寄せる) - to call; to summon; to send for; to call together
  • maneku(招く) - (1) to invite; to ask; (2) to beckon; to wave someone in; to gesture to; (3) to call in; to send for; to summon; (4) to bring on oneself; to cause; to incur; to lead to; to result in
  • manekiyoseru(招き寄せる) - to gesture to come closer; to beckon; to call; to summon
  • izanau (誘う) - (いざなう is arch) to invite; to ask; to call (for); (2) to tempt; to lure; to induce;

Or is there something better nuanced? Also not familiar with Japanese grammatical structure on how one would turn whichever verb into a noun. Would the construction be Kaze no [Caller], Kaze(caller) as one word, or some other construction?

Doumo Arigatou gozaimasu for any help!

  • Hmm, guess WWWJDIC's romanji lookup isn't 100% accurate, lesson learned! Sep 30, 2015 at 6:38
  • 2
    What's "daikyu"? Do you need a word for "windcaller", "stormcaller" used in some fantasy works?
    – naruto
    Sep 30, 2015 at 8:14
  • A long Japanese yumi(archery bow). Usually used in Kyudo, though I actually use mine for target shooting. Sep 30, 2015 at 15:42

3 Answers 3


First of all, one reasonable choice is just transliterate it and call it ウィンドコーラー. After all, you want to call your bow "daikyu", not "big bow", because it sounds better to your ears. Pretty much in the same way, if you want a name that sounds cool to the ears of Japanese people, sometimes it's best to leave it untranslated.

But if you do want to give a Japanese name to your bow, read on. The natural and straightforward verb choice would be 呼ぶ (yobu, "to call").

  • 風を呼ぶ does sound like someone is calling wind, maybe using some magical power.
  • 風を呼び寄せる is fine, but unnecessarily lengthy for your purpose.
  • 風を招く/風を誘う would make sense as a literary expression, but they're not very common, and they may sound gentle/cute rather than powerful.
  • 風を起こす is a plain and common expression which means "cause wind". But it's easily done with a fan. Probably you need a more appealing word for your Windcaller :-)

One way to make a verb into a noun and simulate the English suffix -er is to use the i-form (or ren'yō-kei) of the verb. (e.g. ピアノを弾く = to play the piano; ピアノ弾き = piano player, pianist) This method does not work with all verbs, but it works with 呼ぶ. Using this method, you'll get one possible translation of Windcaller: 風呼び (kaze yobi). This seems to be actually used in some games and manga (like this and this). You can also say 風呼びの弓 (kaze yobi no yumi, windcalling bow).

Alternatively, you can use relative clause and say 風を呼ぶ者 (kaze wo yobu mono, if the caller is a person/humanoid), 風を呼ぶ弓 (kaze wo yobu yumi, if the caller is a bow), etc.

  • Couldn't you drop the の to make it more like a title/compound word, and go with 風呼び弓?
    – Darcinon
    Sep 30, 2015 at 16:35
  • 1
    @Darcinon It's possible, but uncommon. According to Google, 竜殺しの剣 is 100 times more common than 竜殺し剣 (and ドラゴンスレイヤー is 10 times more common than 竜殺しの剣).
    – naruto
    Sep 30, 2015 at 16:39
  • 1
    @Darcinon It'd sound like a certain classification of bows rather than a proper name to my ear. Sep 30, 2015 at 16:39
  • 風呼び definitely seems like a good fit, and implying somewhat of a proper name connotation over 風呼びの弓. As for why kanji over katakana(and daikyu over 'big bow'), its for a more culturally correct feel as my archery is with the SCA(Society for Creative Anachronism) and I try to be respectful of the real deal while being pretend Japanese :) Sep 30, 2015 at 17:30

+1 to @naruto for a great answer, but I'll also offer up [召喚]{しょう・かん} in place of 呼び. 召喚 means "summon", and I've seen it in video games when referring to summoners/summonees(?).

So you might name it something like 風召喚弓 (though not sure if the 風 would be better as かぜ or ふう).


I'd use something with 者{もの}, like 風{かぜ}を呼{よ}び寄{よ}せる者{もの}(He who calls forth wind) or 風{かぜ}を操{あやつ}る者{もの} (He who controls wind).

Judging by the original English name, it looks very 中二病 to me, so I assume these terms would fit well.

Or you can just call yourself 風{かぜ}の妖精{ようせい} (wind fairy)!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .