I know the full conjugations of expressing things that must/must not be done (ex:行かなくてはだめ)and their slang forms (ex:行かなくちゃ) but I've heard the ちゃ sounds like a little girl speaking? If that's true, how can I shorten the full conjugation without using ちゃ?

行かないと。 is a good alternative. – oldergod Sep 28 '15 at 1:43

There are a few ways of doing it. Looking at 行く as the verb.

行かなくてはいけません
行かなければなりません
行かなくてはいけない
行かなければならない
行かなくちゃいけない (mostly feminine)
行かなきゃいけない (mostly feminine)
行かなくちゃ (mostly feminine)
行かなきゃ (mostly feminine)
行かないと
行かんと (informal, colloquial)

Similarly with する as the verb

しなくてはいけません
しなければなりません
しなくてはいけない
しなければならない
しなくちゃいけない (mostly feminine)
しなきゃいけない (mostly feminine)
しなくちゃ (mostly feminine)
しなきゃ (mostly feminine)
しないと
せんと (informal, colloquial, dialect)

You could list 〜なきゃ too. – snailcar Sep 28 '15 at 2:14
  • Oh yeah, forgot that one. I will add it now. – The Wandering Coder Sep 28 '15 at 2:16
  • @snailboat The OP explicitly said he did not want to sound girly. – oldergod Sep 28 '15 at 2:19
  • @oldergod I would disagree at なきゃ sounding girly all the time. However, for completeness sake (and because I have heard it used by a majority of females over males) I will note it. – The Wandering Coder Sep 28 '15 at 2:21
  • I think なきゃ is used quite often by both males and females. Most speakers I asked seemed to agree with that impression, but I guess "sound girly" is subjective. – snailcar Oct 7 '15 at 9:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.