So I'm practicing how to count the strokes of a Kanji. I've been having troubles for this one since I can't find it on Jisho. So I've wanted to ask: am I even right with the number of strokes?

Is the answer right?

If not, is there an easier way to count the strokes of a Kanji? And since I can't find the Kanji at all, can somebody tell me which Kanji is?

Thank you in advance!

Yes; 12 is correct.

You can look up the stroke count from any dictionary, such as JDIC.

Look at the [画数] for and you will see that it is 12.

(At least I think you are looking at )

Or to provide a resource used by native speakers: kakijun.jp/page/12139200.html – virmaior Sep 27 '15 at 4:03
    At first I thought it was that kanji, but I was confused because of one particular stroke. After watching the animation, does this mean this stroke is the same? i.imgur.com/6pwtbAm.png If so, is it because of how the kanji I used to count the strokes was written in a "Comic" way? – TotalNoob Sep 27 '15 at 4:16
  • @TotalNoob Where did you get the original image? Is it from a manga or something? – Ninj0r Sep 27 '15 at 4:49
    @TotalNoob if you look at the kakijun page, you'll see that the difference doesn't change the stroke count because the standard character make an L shaped stroke where yours just makes a - shape stroke. – virmaior Sep 27 '15 at 5:44
    @Ninj0r I think a user downvoted a lot of posts at random today. Please don't take it personally. – snailboat Sep 27 '15 at 11:07

The (free) computer application Wakan has the option to specify a rough number of strokes and the radical (or radicals) to narrow down your search -- so if you're convinced it has 12 strokes and it's not showing up, expand the window to 11-13 strokes, etc.

This sort of functionality is also available on the (free) KanjiDraw application for Android, and if I recall correctly the Chinese handwriting pad on iOS is one of the few algorithms that is not heavily stroke-dependent (so may recognize your attempt even if you're drawing in 1 stroke something that is properly 2 strokes, which I'm often guilty of)

• +1 For WaKan. This is a great application that I used for many many years. Unfortunately it is old and hasn't been updated since 2008 but it is still a great tool. – Ninj0r Sep 28 '15 at 3:50
  • @Ninj0r luckily Japanese has largely stayed the same since then :p (j/k, I catch your drift--it's quite clunky & sometimes outdated, but really overall an excellent tool. my learning improved markedly after installing) – MichaelChirico Sep 28 '15 at 4:17

You can use the following site for the stroke numbers in kanji http://jiten.go-kanken.com/

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.