Several years ago an acquaintance introduced me to the Hiroshima dialect and mentioned clear distinction between perfect and continuous aspects:

Example 1:

The bus is coming.
Standard: バスが来ている。
Chugoku: バスが来よる。

The bus has already arrived.
Standard: バスが来ている。 -- same as above
Chugoku: バスが来とる。

Example 2:

When I got up this morning and opened the window, it was raining. (still raining)
Standard: 今朝起きて窓を開けたら、雨が降っていた。
Chugoku: 今朝起きて窓を開けたら、雨が降りよった。

When I got up this morning and opened the window, I found it had rained. (already stopped.)
Standard: 今朝起きて窓を開けたら、雨が降っていた。
Chugoku: 今朝起きて窓を開けたら、雨が降っとった。

Now living in Kansai, I hear verbs like 言いよる, 来よった, 当てよった quite often, but so far assumed it was regional variation of past tense: 言っている, 来た, 当てた.

Now that I looked at the explanation of Hiroshima-ben, I started to wonder if this tense distinction was present in Kansai area too?

Is it archaic and getting extinct now because of hyōjungo prevalence?

Or maybe 「masu-stem」+よる does have different function in Kansai-ben?

• Out of curiosity, is the English the bus is coming really continuous? – Yang Muye Sep 26 '15 at 7:47
    English The bus is coming is certainly progressive, though a habitual/iterative interpretation is possible, but it's never perfective like Japanese バスが来ている. – snailboat Sep 26 '15 at 8:06
  • バスが来ている means 'The bus is here', not 'The bus is coming'; for that, you want バスが来る. – Aeon Akechi Sep 26 '15 at 13:04
    @Nothingatall, the situation is not so simple, have a look at japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/3262/… – dainichi Sep 27 '15 at 23:14
    It would be of note that ~とる also has use in 博多弁(福岡)and 北九州弁(福岡) – The Wandering Coder Sep 28 '15 at 6:07

In Kansai-ben (or, in Kyoto and Osaka), we say:

〖する〗(do / will do):
「する、言う、くる」 <-- 「する、いう、くる」
「しよる、いいよる、きよる*」 <-- 「する、いう、くる」 +おる/よる
「しはる、いわはる、きはる」 <-- 「する、いう、くる」 +はる
(*also pronounced しおる、いいおる、きおる)

〖している〗(is doing / have done):
「してる、言うてる、きてる」 <-- 「している、いっている、きている」
「しとる、いうとる、きとる*」 <-- 「している、いっている、きている」 +おる/よる
「したはる、いうたはる、きたはる」 <-- 「している、いっている、きている」 +はる
(*also pronounced しとおる、いうとおる、きとおる)

〖した〗(did):
「した、言うた、きた」 <-- 「した、いった、きた」
「しよった、いいよった、きよった*」 <-- 「した、いった、きた」 +おる/よる
「しはった、いわはった、きはった」 <-- 「した、いった、きた」 +はる
(*also pronounced しおった、いいおった、きおった)

〖していた〗(was doing):
「してた、言うてた、きてた」 <-- 「していた、いっていた、きていた」
「しとった、いうとった、きとった*」 <-- 「していた、いっていた、きていた」 +おる/よる
「したはった、いうたはった、きたはった」 <-- 「していた、いっていた、きていた」 +はる
(*also pronounced しとおった、いうとおった、きとおった)

「~はる」 is mildly honorific. 「~おる/よる」 is mild やがる; it's like the opposite to 「~はる」. I think はる is more used in Kyoto, and おる/よる is more used by men in Kyoto and by both men and women in Osaka.

For example:

あいつ、明日、[来]{く}る?
-> あいつ、明日、来る? / [来]{き}よる? (来おる?)

あいつ、今日、来てる?
-> あいつ、今日、来てる? / 来とる? (来とおる?)

あいつ、昨日、来た?
-> あいつ、昨日、来た? / 来よった? (来おった?)

あいつ、昨日、来てた?
-> あいつ、昨日、来てた? / 来とった? (来とおった?)

(Although I am not sure if this answers your question:)

For "The bus is coming", I'd say:

バス(が)[来]{く}る(で), バス[来]{く}んで, バス[来]{き}よる(で) or バス[来]{き}よんで etc.

For "The bus has already arrived", I'd say:

バス(が)[来]{き}てる(で), バス[来]{き}てんで, バス[来]{き}とる(で), バス[来]{き}とんで etc.

For "When I got up this morning and opened the window, it was raining. (still raining)", I'd say:

今朝起きて窓開けたら、雨降ってた。 or 雨降っとった。etc.

For "When I got up this morning and opened the window, I found it had rained. (already stopped.)", I'd say:

今朝起きて窓開けたら、雨降った[後]{あと}やった。 or 雨降り終わっとった。etc.

Hope this helps.

• Really? So 標準語のする=関西弁のしよる? もう行くよ=もう行きよるで・もういっきょるで? That doesn't sound right. I think both しよる and しとる must correspond to して(い)る, no? Correct me if I'm wrong. – dainichi Sep 28 '15 at 1:09
  • @dainichi そうですね、京都・大阪あたりでは、「しよる」は『「する」+弱い「やがる」』みたいな感じで、progressive的な「している」っていう意味では使わないですね・・ – Chocolate Sep 28 '15 at 6:40

As you noticed, the auxiliary verb よる, used in the form of "連用形+よる", mainly in the western part of Japan, has two different functions.

One is よる used to form the progressive form, which corresponds to ~ている in 標準語:

• 「今、なにしよるん?」「勉強しよるんじゃ。」 (広島弁)
    ≒ 「今、なんしょーん?」「勉強しょんじゃ。」 (contracted 広島弁)
    ≒ 「今、何しているの?」「勉強しているんだ。」 (標準語)
    ≒ "What are you doing now?" "I'm studying."

Another usage of よる is related to accusation, surprise, or just plain emphasis. This is partly similar to ~やがる used also in slangy 標準語.

• うわ、ほんまに来よった! (大阪弁)
    ≒ うわ、本当に来やがった! (標準語)
    ≒ [accusingly/surprisingly] Wow, (you/he/they) did come! (although it was not expected)
  • 宝くじが当たりよった! (大阪弁)
    ≒ 宝くじが当たった! (標準語)
    ≒ I won a lottery! (not "I was winning ...")

I believe this kind of よる is not related to tense in any way.

Another example:

• あいつ、嘘を言いよった。(mainly 大阪弁)
    ≒ [accusingly] He told a lie!
  • それ、ママがいつも言いよった。(mainly 中国四国方言)
    ≒ My mom was always saying that. (past progressive)

(EDIT as per the comments below: The 'progressive' usage of よる may be specific to 中国四国方言 including 広島弁, and I am better at it than 大阪弁. See this Wikipedia discussion. I removed the word 関西弁 because it is ambiguous and may or may not include 中国方言.)

I'm afraid I don't know whether 大阪弁 actually distinguishes between the perfect tense and the past tense in some way.

• My mom was always saying that. (past progressive) >> We say more like 「ママがいつも言うとった」 or「ママがいつも言うたはった」 – Chocolate Sep 27 '15 at 5:51
  • @Shoko うーん、中四国方言と大阪弁の違いじゃないですかね。少なくとも阿波弁だと過去の習慣を指して「よう言いよったわ」「ようやんりょったんじょ」と言います。 – naruto Sep 27 '15 at 5:55
  • あら、その例文、大阪弁(関西弁)の例文かと・・・。Is 「それ、ママがいつも言いよった」 an example sentence of 中国四国弁? – Chocolate Sep 27 '15 at 5:59
  • たった今、私たち二人とも、同時にダウンボートされましたね・・・edit: 質問も同時に-1されたようですね・・・ – Chocolate Sep 27 '15 at 6:04
  • あんまり厳密に大阪というより、大雑把に西日本…みたいな書き方のつもりでしたが、直しておきます。「ちっちゃい頃、ようこの道を歩っきょったわ」「昔は踊んりょったんじゃが…」というのは、瀬戸内辺りだと普通だと思うのですが、きっと「大阪弁」ではないですよねえ。 – naruto Sep 27 '15 at 6:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.