If you were using the toilet and someone knocked on the door what would be the common response to indicate it was occupied?

I noticed some Japanese people knock back, but it is not always possible, so how do you answer verbally?

• I see possibilities for ふさがっている or 空いていない, but dictionaries do not give usage examples in this particular context. – macraf Sep 25 '15 at 16:06

I think the most common phrase is...

[入]{はい}ってます。

^.^

And press the nose while speaking to obscure our identity. – Artificial Stupidity Sep 26 '15 at 1:59
  • I agree simple is best, but how would the 空いていない sound to the Japanese ears? Strange? – macraf Sep 26 '15 at 20:01
  • @macraf It would probably be understood, but yeah a bit strange... (トイレの個室の外側にいる人が、トイレの個室に入ろうとしている人に、「(そこ、)空いてますよ。」/「空いてませんよ。」と言うことはあると思います。) – Chocolate Sep 27 '15 at 3:51
    How about answering 「使用中です」? Would it sound strange? – macraf Oct 1 '15 at 11:19
    @macraf あ、それなら、おかしくないと思います。 (^_^) – Chocolate Oct 1 '15 at 12:28

Just make sound of water by using flush or pour it in a bucket. Or just knock on bucket or something like tht if ur door is far.. person will understand tht someone is inside..

Advantage?

It works for all languages , not only japanese..

Minus voters? Only minus vote it if u hadnt done it in ur whole life time...

If you flush, someone outside expects you are done... – Hideki Sep 25 '15 at 17:28
  • But they know atlast tht some one is there.. – Kesh Sep 25 '15 at 17:29
  • +1: It is a good way to hide our identity especially for women but it does not answer the question. – Artificial Stupidity Sep 26 '15 at 1:54

Just do louder cough voice..this voice is helpful of your existence.I see most of the people doing that voice..Hope this answer can solve your problem

protected by snailboat Sep 26 '15 at 9:16

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.