I've seen several sources explain the colloquialism in different ways. One says the っちゃ is a slang way of saying よりの, as in ありよりのあり. Another says it's a slang way of saying と言えば as in ありと言えばあり (which I frankly find more likely).

Since both full sentences point to rather different sentiments (the affirming attitude of 'it more than exists' vs the unwilling 'well it is there') I thought I'd ask if there was anyone familiar with it.

Is it one of the two sentences, or am I misunderstanding the sentiment of one sentence, or is it a shortening of something else entirely?

• ありっちゃあり is a very common expression, but it uses あり and from your translation "well it is there", it's hard to tell whether you understand how あり is used (e.g. in そういう人生もありだと思います). – Earthliŋ Sep 24 '15 at 18:20
    I'm fully aware of how あり is used by itself yeah (something exists, something is possible, something is acceptable etc.), the 'well it is there' refers to the unwilling vibe I get from ありと言えばあり. I saw ありと言えばあり as "well when you say it [possibility, acceptance etc.] exists, it does, I don't disagree, but..." cue a complaint/reason it's lacking. It has the feeling of finding something lacking and barely meeting the standard for me. Like おいしいといえばおいしい(けどもっとおいしい食べ物を食べた) – user7541 Sep 24 '15 at 18:32

ありっちゃあり is indeed a contraction of ありといえばあり and it's a way of saying "yeah, sure, why not...".

As you say, it's completely parallel to おいしいといえばおいしい, just with あり (which means something like "something is possible/doable/acceptable/...").

〜っちゃ of ありっちゃあり is a contraction of と言{い}えば. So, ありっちゃあり is basically ありと言{い}えばあり 'it is possible if you say so (but...)'

ありっちゃあり is normally used to talk about a thing that has a high possibility, though the translation varies depending on what the verb あり indicates in context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy