How would you politely say that? When you talk to a stranger, and you don't know the word he just said. Say f.e.: 落札 I understand that you could just say 「落札」の意味は何ですか? but is there specifically a polite form of って ?

And to take it further, would there be even a Keigo version of って ?

I would say

落札ってどういう意味?(casual)

落札ってどういう意味ですか?(polite)

落札とは、どういう意味でしょうか。(politer, formal)

| improve this answer | |

って in your example is an informal version of と言う (other usages are explained here)

と言う is a general set phrase (something called something) and does not identify the speaker, but you can ask specifically for a word someone said in a polite form replacing 言う with 仰る{おっしゃる}, for example 先ほどおっしゃった◯◯と言う言葉の意味は何ですか。

| improve this answer | |
  • Is 仰る keigo or just teineigo? If Keigo, is it still ok to use です in your example? – RnBandCrunk Sep 24 '15 at 12:57
    仰る is a sonkeigo form of 言う, but I often hear it even in casual conversations to indicate who's words someone comments on (to differentiate between "as I said" vs "as you said"). Hmmm... ending with「何になりますか」 would be probably be ok in formal situations. – macraf Sep 24 '15 at 13:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.