What is sonkeigo form of verb-て/で+みる? I've heard somewhere 思い出してごらんになる as a keigo form of 思い出してみる, but I doubt if it's correct.

Curious as to where you saw/heard or learned to say 「思い出してごらんになる」. A great question, though.
    – user4032
    Sep 24, 2015 at 11:49

2 Answers 2

This may be too obvious to OP, but we can use られる and say like this:

• その本{ほん}を読んで{よんで}みられると良い{よい}でしょう。
  • 食べて{たべて}みられることをお勧め{おすすめ}します。
  • 正直{しょうじき}に言って{いって}みられてはどうですか。

But I recommend that you try to apply honorifics to the main verb (these are more common, and perhaps politer, too):

• その本{ほん}をお読み{およみ}になってみると良い{よい}でしょう。
  • 召し{めし}上が{あが}ってみることをお勧め{おすすめ}します。
  • 正直{しょうじき}に仰って{おっしゃって}みてはどうですか。

These 二重敬語{にじゅうけいご} examples are not entirely wrong, but are probably frowned upon by some:

• (?) その本{ほん}をお読み{およみ}になってみられると良い{よい}でしょう。
  • (?) 召し{めし}上が{あが}ってみられることをお勧め{おすすめ}します。
  • (?) 正直{しょうじき}に仰って{おっしゃって}みられてはどうですか。

Honorific form would be 〜てごらんなさる, often used in imperative 〜てご覧{らん}なさい

On the other hand, a person in a higher position talking to a person in a lower position might use a shortened form 〜てごらん, like やってご覧{らん}. Although you add a word in seemingly polite form "ご覧" it would be considered impolite if used toward a teacher or a stranger.

• +1 on the てごらん。I hear this all the time when mothers are speaking to their children.
    – Ninj0r
    Sep 24, 2015 at 12:43
    「やってごらん」だけで「やってみろ」の意味になりますね。
    – naruto
    Sep 24, 2015 at 12:47
  • @naruto Thank you for pointing that. Corrected.
    – macraf
    Sep 24, 2015 at 12:48
    @naruto But I often heard やってみてごらん used for example by a martial arts teacher. Google also returns >80k hits for that phrase. Is it superfluous?
    – macraf
    Sep 24, 2015 at 12:54
    @naruto てごらん is more forceful, like saying "do it" vs. てみてごらん which is more like "try it".
    – Ninj0r
    Sep 25, 2015 at 10:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .