What is sonkeigo form of verb-て/で+みる? I've heard somewhere 思い出してごらんになる as a keigo form of 思い出してみる, but I doubt if it's correct.

Curious as to where you saw/heard or learned to say 「思い出してごらんになる」. A great question, though. – l'électeur Sep 24 '15 at 11:49

This may be too obvious to OP, but we can use られる and say like this:

• その本{ほん}を読んで{よんで}みられると良い{よい}でしょう。
  • 食べて{たべて}みられることをお勧め{おすすめ}します。
  • 正直{しょうじき}に言って{いって}みられてはどうですか。

But I recommend that you try to apply honorifics to the main verb (these are more common, and perhaps politer, too):

• その本{ほん}をお読み{およみ}になってみると良い{よい}でしょう。
  • 召し{めし}上が{あが}ってみることをお勧め{おすすめ}します。
  • 正直{しょうじき}に仰って{おっしゃって}みてはどうですか。

These 二重敬語{にじゅうけいご} examples are not entirely wrong, but are probably frowned upon by some:

• (?) その本{ほん}をお読み{およみ}になってみられると良い{よい}でしょう。
  • (?) 召し{めし}上が{あが}ってみられることをお勧め{おすすめ}します。
  • (?) 正直{しょうじき}に仰って{おっしゃって}みられてはどうですか。

Honorific form would be 〜てごらんなさる, often used in imperative 〜てご覧{らん}なさい

On the other hand, a person in a higher position talking to a person in a lower position might use a shortened form 〜てごらん, like やってご覧{らん}. Although you add a word in seemingly polite form "ご覧" it would be considered impolite if used toward a teacher or a stranger.

• +1 on the てごらん。I hear this all the time when mothers are speaking to their children. – Ninj0r Sep 24 '15 at 12:43
    「やってごらん」だけで「やってみろ」の意味になりますね。 – naruto Sep 24 '15 at 12:47
  • @naruto Thank you for pointing that. Corrected. – macraf Sep 24 '15 at 12:48
    @naruto But I often heard やってみてごらん used for example by a martial arts teacher. Google also returns >80k hits for that phrase. Is it superfluous? – macraf Sep 24 '15 at 12:54
    @naruto てごらん is more forceful, like saying "do it" vs. てみてごらん which is more like "try it". – Ninj0r Sep 25 '15 at 10:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.