Are these 斑{ぶち} or そばかす?

spotted dog face

Are freckles (そばかす) in Japanese limited to human? Would it be a mistake to describe a pattern on dog's face as そばかす?

I haven't seen そばかす used for animals.

In this case, possible expressions include 「ぶち模様の犬」「顔にぶちのある犬」「まだら模様の犬」「ぶち毛の犬」「ぶち犬」.

• What about 斑点{はんてん}? Looks like a synonym of ぶち, but an image search for 斑点犬 returns almost only Dalmatians and examples here dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/thsrs/11203/m0u suggest also wild cats (and states that 斑点 is used for patterns not only on animals). Is there a nuance that 斑点 is more "regular"? – macraf Sep 23 '15 at 11:33
    Technically, 「そばかす」 is only used for humans, but unless one is discussing animals scientifically or academically, it would be perfectly acceptable to use the word in casual chats about a particular dog. I see no problems at all in sayng things like 「(ウチの犬は)顔にそばかすみたいな斑点がある。」. – l'électeur Sep 23 '15 at 11:43
  • @macraf There's no such word as 斑点犬, but you can use 斑点 to describe what ぶち means. Since you already know ぶち, I think you no longer have to descriptively say 顔に斑点のある犬. – naruto Sep 23 '15 at 12:13
  • @naruto Yes, I wondered if Japanese people differentiate between black spots like those en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle#/media/… and those en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatian_(dog)#/media/… (the latter look like points, that's why I asked if 斑点 is limited to spots like on Dalmatian breed) – macraf Sep 23 '15 at 12:33

I don't think so. I never saw this expression has been used for animal.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.