Watching Volleyball World Cup on TV now, I started to wonder where does the cheering 「ゴーリゴーリ」 come from? Seems to be independent of which team serves, but is more loud when Japanese hold the ball.

Is it used in other sports or specific to volleyball?

  • 3
    「ゴリ」っていうニックネームの人がいるとか。。。 – Chocolate Sep 22 '15 at 7:45
  • @Shoko Indeed, why not an answer? – macraf Sep 22 '15 at 9:06
  • 1
    ほんとにいるんだぁ・・・知りませんでした。(バレーボール見てないんで…) (^^ゞ – Chocolate Sep 22 '15 at 9:18
  • 1
    @macraf I think [sports] is a better tag name than [sports-vocabulary], since it can be used more generally, not only for questions about vocabulary. – Earthliŋ Sep 22 '15 at 14:43

(credit to Shoko for hint)

ゴリ is a nickname of Kunihiro Shimizu 清水邦広

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.