In my textbook book It states that the て from of a verb can be used to connect two activities together similar to the particle と and how it connects nouns but with verbs.

ex given in textbook: きょうは ろくじに おきて、 べんきょうしました

Today I got up at 6 and studied

I attempted to make a sentence myself but I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly here

My ex. おふろにはいって、 がっこうに いきました

What I was trying to say is "I took a shower and went to school" and while it feels correct, every time I look at it I can't help but imagine myself getting into a bath and riding it to school. Any explanation on why this is or isn't wrong and confirmation on whether or not I really am using て form to connect verbs properly would be appreciated.

A stretch limo with a jaccuzi would enable you to commute to school while bathing, but even then, that will not be expressed as 「おふろにはいってがっこうにいく」. It will be described as 「おふろにはいりながらがっこうにいく」. – l'électeur Sep 19 '15 at 16:13
    I think that's because you おふろにはいって doesn't explicitly say you get out of the bath, so in this example its ambiguous. This sentence for example: おふろにはいって、ほんをよみました。Where did you read the book? If you change it up (maybe like ほんをよんで、おふろにはいりました), it becomes more clear the actions were done in succession. – silvermaple Sep 19 '15 at 21:28

I think it works. After all, 「お風呂に入って寝る」 means "take a bath and go to bed".

I think (お風呂に)入る here is closer to English "take a bath" rather than "enter the bath". It's similar to how 上がる is closer to "enter a house" rather than "rise into the house" (see this answer).

If you need to talk about something during the bath, you can combine it with いる:

お風呂に入っている - I am taking a bath
6時にお風呂に入っていた - I was taking a bath at six
お風呂に入っているとき、電話がなった - The phone rang while I was taking a bath

• The て form can connect activities (whole sentences or verbs) as well adjectives (白くて大きい猫 : a big white cat) and nouns. Also, according to the context, activities connected with this form can show some temporal precedence (as stated in this answer) or even a weak causality relation. – N Gillain Nov 21 '18 at 2:28

て form not only can connect two actions but many more if they occur consecutively. It's likely to be understood as listing actions, for example:

毎日6時半に起きて、シャワーを浴びて、朝ご飯を食べて、学校にいきます。
Every morning I wake up at 6:30 then take a shower, next I have breakfast, and after that I go to school.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.