Are 「〜のは欲しい」 and 「〜のは出来る」 valid alternatives to 「〜たい」and 「られる」conjugations for desire and potential form? If so, what's the difference?

Examples: If 見れる means "can see," does 見るのは出来る mean the same? If so, is there a difference in nuance?

• Are you taking a class? Were you taught to say 見れる for "can see"? – Chocolate Sep 19 '15 at 8:07
  • We have to admit that みれる is more common than みられる(, たべれる is marginal and しんじれる is less common). – user4092 Sep 19 '15 at 9:23
  • I think this is a great question for English speakers it seems more natural to phrase it this way, before really internalizing the usage of ~たい and ~られる forms. – silvermaple Sep 19 '15 at 22:08

No. However, you can rephrase 見れる as 見ることができる, and substitute の for こと like 聞くことはできない。しかし、見るのはできる, though I'd not necessarily recommend that method. In addition, presence or absence of は makes difference.

As for the difference between ~のは欲しい, for example, そうじするのは欲しい means "I want one to clean up", opposed 掃除したい, which is "I want to clean up".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.