I want to say:

One person I told about XYZ said, "...".

Knowledgeably incorrect translation:

XYZについて話した一人は「…」と言いました。

This makes it sound like they were the one telling me about XYZ. How do I write this so that it's clear that they are the one being told? The only ways I can think of makes it sound like they've had a moral offense committed against them (話された), or that they really wanted to know what I told them (話してもらった).

I'm pretty sure you can just add yourself at the start with が.

私がXYZについて話した一人は「…」と言いました

I keep on thinking that I need to put に in there somewhere (outside について), like: 私が一人にXYZについて話しました。 Does the necessity of the に particle go away because of the reordering of the sentence? – idlackage Sep 16 '15 at 22:24
  • Does 一人の人 sound better than just 一人? – Darcinon Sep 17 '15 at 16:10
  • Another suggestion was made that 私に/からXYZについて聞いた一人 is also a possibility, a bit roundabout but has that に in there that I was obsessing over. @Darcinon In the paragraph this sentence was in I'd specified that there were a group of people and this is just one within it, but without that context 一人の人 probably would have worked better. – idlackage Sep 28 '15 at 1:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.