In Issunboushi, there is a line that goes like this. "Issunboushi wa hari wo katana ni shite koshi ni sashi" I found a translation that says "He made use of a needle as a sword", but I have no idea why. True, hari=needle, katana=sword, but I couldn't find any grammar to help me understand the form of this phrase. Where does the "made use" come from? What does "koshi ni sashi" mean? Thank you in advance! :)

AをBにする (3) to make use of A for B; to view A as B; to handle A as if it were B – oals Sep 16 '15 at 20:09

The part, "katana ni shite", means to use as a katana. *

As for the other question, "koshi ni sashi" is an old way of saying, to "put in/on his belt". Koshi meaning hip, and sasu being the verb for insert/put in [belt].

*Note that this is not the same as "ni shitemo", which is a pattern meaning "even if".

• Thank you so much for this great answer! :) Is there a book I can read to find these old expressions? – Sophie Proud Sep 24 '15 at 18:54
  • Sorry, not sure about books on this. I learned that one in a class. – C.C. Sep 28 '15 at 14:49

I'll put this as an answer but @oals explained it perfectly.
AをBにする (3) to make use of A for B; to view A as B; to handle A as if it were B.

In this case the "suru" is in the te-form, so it becomes "shite".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.