What is the difference between 殺人 and 殺害? As I know, both of them mean "killing". I found the words in these sentences:

秋田運転手刺殺事件、男を逮捕 強盗殺人容疑で。
金品を奪い取る目的で殺害した疑い。

Off the top of my head... You'd say (~~を)殺害する but not (~~を)殺人する. – Chocolate Sep 16 '15 at 9:53

Basic meanings are:

殺人: killing a human.

殺害: killing.

殺害する: kill.

So, 殺害 includes 殺人. But, you cannot change every 殺人 to 殺害.

Japanese criminal law defines a crime called 強盗殺人罪 (A robbery homicide). So, if you refer to this crime, 殺人 is used. There are several similar crimes like 殺人罪 (A murder).

Note the kanji 「人」 in 殺人. This implies that this word is only used when referring to the act of killing a human. 殺害 can include animals as well. Also note that 殺人 is only a noun (or no-adjective). 殺害 is also a noun, but can also be used as a -suru verb.

Hmm, I'm not sure this is right. 大辞林 defines 殺害 as 人を殺すこと。 So do all the other monolingual dictionaries I checked. 類語例解辞典 says 「殺人」「殺害」は、人を殺すことだが、ふつうは「殺人」が使われる。 – snailcar Sep 16 '15 at 17:44

Simply, 殺人 is a noun, "the act of killing another human: homicide", and 殺害 is a verb, "to murder / to mortally wound".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.