I've been trying to make proper sentences using the word きょう when I realized that I'm not really actually sure when I'm suppose to mark it with は. I know relative time expressions tend to stand alone meaning it's not followed by に and because of this its not uncommon for it to be followed directly by another word with no particle in between. This is where I start to get confused however when I see a sentence like this one

明日{あした}きます

and then a sentence like this

今日{きょう}は 京都{きょうと}に いきます

I'm pretty sure the reason I'm having a hard time understanding this is due to my terrible understanding of は, regardless any help on when I should mark a time like this with は and when it would be better left unmarked would be appreciated.

• You may want to wait a day or two before accepting an answer. That way you give other people time to write alternatives, and you can see how people vote and comment :-) – snailcar Sep 15 '15 at 6:13
    Partialy related to help you understand は : japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/18475/… My advice as a fellow learner : Try to think of the (hypothetical) question the sentence is the answer to. – Alox Sep 15 '15 at 8:53

1) 今日、京都に行きます。
2) 今日、京都に行きます。/ 京都に、今日行きます。

I would use #1, with a stress on 京都, as a reply to "Where will you go today?" or "What will you do today?", and #2, with a stress on 今日, as a reply to "When will you go to Kyoto?" Here, the は is the topic particle. 今日は in #1 and 京都には in #2 are old information (既知情報), and 京都に(行きます) in #1 and 今日 or 今日行きます in #2 are new information (新情報).

You would use #1 in a conversation like this:

(on the phone)
A: もしもし。今日、暇?今から遊びに来ない?
B: あ、ごめん、今日京都に行くから無理。(not just 今日)

The は can also be the contrastive particle. For example:

1') 昨日は大阪に行きました。(でも、)今日京都に行きます。
I went to Osaka yesterday. (But) today, I will go to Kyoto.
1") 今日、京都に行きます。 (with a stress on 今日は)
Today, I am going to Kyoto (but on another day I didn't / won't go there).

When I just tell someone that I am going to Kyoto on that day (i.e. when 今日 and 京都 are both new information), I would use:

2') 今日、京都に行きます。(without a stress on 今日)

for example, in a context like this:

(on the phone)
母: もしもし。
娘: あ、お母はん?あのさ、今日、京都行くねんけど、なんか伊勢丹で[買]{こ}うてきてほしいもんとかある? (not 今日は.)

は here is a topic marker and it changes what you accentuate in the sentence.

By 「今日、京都に行きます」 you simply state "I am going to Kyoto today".

Using は next to 今日 it sounds like "Today I am going to Kyoto" meaning "As for today I am going to Kyoto".

I think the pattern comes more naturally in dialogs:

お昼一緒に食べませんか? Why don't we have a lunch together? (early morning conversation)

すみません、今日は京都に行きます。 Oh, today I am going to Kyoto, I am sorry.

You can stress "today" even more with 今日こそ or 今日という今日 (isn't it a bit archaic though?) like in:

「今日こそ早く帰って、特別な夕食を作ろうと思います」 (context: today is our anniversary, so...) "especially today I am going to come back earlier and prepare a special dinner"

There was some relevant discussion on a recent related question: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/27534/… – snailcar Sep 15 '15 at 5:15
    Hmm.. "It is today that I am going to Kyoto" is more like 京都には、今日行きます, and 今日は、京都に行きます is more like "It is Kyoto that I am going today", no? I'd say 今日は京都に行きます (今日 is 既知情報 and 京都 is 新情報) as a response to "Where are you going today?" , and 今日、京都に行きます or 京都には、今日行きます (京都 is 既知情報 and 今日 is 新情報) as a response to "When are you going to Kyoto?" – Chocolate Sep 15 '15 at 5:52
    "It is today that ...." sounds to me 京都に行くのは今日だ or 今日京都に行く. – user4092 Sep 15 '15 at 6:47
  • @Choco I think explicating it as an answer to a question is the correct way to help someone understand the difference between は and nothing (or between は and が for that matter). You should write that as an answer, it's really helpful. – Alox Sep 15 '15 at 8:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.