While trying to figure out the polite imperative form of 呼ぶ I figured the correct conjugation to be 呼んで下さい。I found instead that, colloquially, the imperative is 呼び出して下さい。 Am I correct in assuming that this is to distinguish between, 読んで and 呼んで in everyday speech?

I saw the title and thought you were asking about those kango compounds. As in your case, 呼んで is よんで{LHH} and 読んで is よんで{HLL} so there's no chance we could mix them up. – broccoli forest Sep 12 '15 at 4:12
  • Not to familiar with japanese enunciation just yet. I assume that the first case emphasizes よ while the second emphasizes んで? As for the OP, then 呼んで下さい is correct? – Chris Sep 12 '15 at 4:16
    See this post about notation. Japanese has pitch accent that high or low is meaningful. 呼んで itself doesn't have accent core, so さ should be the accent peak in 呼んで下さい. – broccoli forest Sep 12 '15 at 4:36

No. As 読んで and 呼んで have different accents in both standard Japanese and Kansai dialect.

呼ぶ and 呼び出す are...

• 呼ぶ: call someone.
  • 呼び出す: call someone and ask him to come somewhere.

They are similar, sometimes same.

If my understanding about your question, which is, you are thinking Japanese are --differentiating-- the intonation on purpose in order to distinguish the meaning of the 2 verbs, 読む, 呼ぶ, I think my answer would be "Please remember so...".

There are 2 ways of pronouncing Kanjis, which are 音読み(Onyomi) and 訓読み(Kunyomi).

Now, 訓読み is the Japanese way of reading --original way of Chinese ( meaning, the "real" Chinese do not pronounce such ).

The 2 verbs, 読む(Yomu), 呼ぶ(Yobu) has both 訓読み respectively.

And we do not ordinarily "write" or "say" 呼む.

Both 読んで and 呼んで is the continuative mode, 連用形,of 読む,呼ぶ,accompanied with the euphonic change.

「読み-て」 ヨミテ ( Yomite ) → ヨンデ ( Yonde )「読んで」

「呼び-て」 ヨビテ ( Yobite ) → ヨンデ ( Yonde )「呼んで」

So, the "basic form" of the each verb is different. 読む(Yomu), 呼ぶ(Yobu), respectively.

Thus, if I am asked if Japanese is trying to differentiate the pronunciation, I would like to answer "because the "basic form" is different...".

For your further information, here is the Japanese "accent" of ( especially ) Japanese verbs, nouns, ..

If you click よ button,then you can find how to pronounce the 2 verbs. ( I am afraid I can not copy and past the up and down red lines but you can certainly find there. )

Have a good day.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.