In a bid rigging (談合入札) how do you call the suppliers:

• the one to win the contract
  • others who are intended just to take part and to lose (I recall some expression with 馬)

As we are talking about illegal activity, I expect these expressions to be slangy.

• found 対抗馬{たいこうば} for a "rival candidate", but I think there was more specific expression for a "horse that will definitely lose" – macraf Sep 10 '15 at 15:12
  • Right, it is not 「対抗馬」 as there is no competition among the "horses" to begin with in 談合. Hint: There is a kana in the middle of the correct word. And for your first question, the answer is a 2-or-4-kanji word containing 「命」. Not sure why the experts have not posted an answer to this excellent question. (Unfortunately, I am no longer answering questions here.) – l'électeur Sep 10 '15 at 23:32

It may be 本命 (the one to win) and 当{あ}て馬{うま} (the one to lose). I didn't find it out until I read the comment.

• Thank you. 当て馬 is definitely the word I heard at work ("we were used as stalking horse"). – macraf Sep 12 '15 at 13:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.