From what my test book says in the vocab section the verb かきます usually takes the particles を for things and に for people. I'm pretty sure that you would use を like this.

ともだちに てがみを かきました - I wrote a letter to a friend/friends

So then I guess my question would be then for に would I just make the sentence like this?

ともだちに かきました - I wrote to a friend/friends(?)

That is correct. – tomi Sep 9 '15 at 4:00
    If I heard you just say "友達に書きました", I would want to ask "何を?" You would say 友達に書きました when responding to a question like 誰に手紙を書いたんですか? – Chocolate Sep 9 '15 at 5:41

Just a precision, I don't think the distinction is really between things and people and it's not related to the verb 書く either, it's just about the meaning of を and に.

The particle を marks the direct object in this case. Therefore it follows what you write.

The particle に marks the point of arrival/goal of an action/recipient of something in this case. Therefore it follows the recipient of the letter.

政府に手紙を書いた。 I wrote a letter to the governement.

For the rest, see the comments below your question.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.