I heard Japanese speaker correcting himself from 面会 to 対面. Edit: The actual phrase was 「二人が 面会 対面をした時に・・・」

He was referring to a meeting of two people one-on-one in a casual setting, but still relations of the two were official.

What would be the difference between these two words? What could be the purpose of the correction?

面会 : interview. visitation.

対面 : face to face.

対面する : face.

I think 面会 is not wrong, but 面会 is sometimes used to explain a visitation in a hospital or in a prison.

I would use 差しで会った。, but probably this is informal way to explain.

• Thank you. Seeing your reply, I remembered more. The phrase was 「二人が対面した時に…」 If the subject were two people as in the example, does the 面会した suggest that they met/visited a third person and 対面した was a meeting between them two? – macraf Sep 8 '15 at 10:50
    「会った」is the most general way to say "meet." So, if this is not used, there should be a slight difference. 「二人が対面した時に…」means "When two faced each other,". In my opinion, the two should concentrate on each other, and it is ok to use it even when there is a third person, but the speaker does not care about them. I found something like「不仲の噂される Messi と Ronaldo がサッカーの試合直前に対面したが、談笑していた。(They say Messi and Ronaldo hate each other, but they face just before the game and talked cheerfully.)」on web. – Keita ODA Sep 12 '15 at 21:03
    「二人が面会した時に…」means "When two met,". In my opinion, 面会 requires some processes like a reservation or an approval. And, I said "sometimes used to ... in a hospital or in a prison", but I should say mostly. I searched it on web and the first page was made of a dictionary, a court and hospitals. kotobank.jp/word/%E9%9D%A2%E4%BC%9A-644517 According to デジタル大辞泉, 面会: meet a special person or meet in a special place. 対面: often used when they first meet or after a long time no see. 面接: Meet personally to ask questions. I think they point out good points. – Keita ODA Sep 12 '15 at 21:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.